Tuesday, February 26, 2008

eh.

Sometimes, the book is better than the movie, and sometimes the movie is better than the book. I just Netflixed "The Nanny Diaries," and hmmm, yeah, the book and the movie were like, the same. I didn't finish either. I was jazzed about both initially, got a little way through each, felt increasingly icky about all the characters, and then couldn't force myself to go on. I'm not even sure why. With the book, I think I felt too much of a distance with the narrator? With the movie, though, you'd think having Scarlett Johansson as the main character would have helped a little, even if to make the movie a fluffy, enjoyable little chick flick. Not so much, though, and I have to say: vastly disappointed. Especially since the beginning was so promising, clever and energetic and colorful. Then that little kid started to get on my nerves, the parents behaved abominably, and Scarlett got a lot less quippy. Maybe the energy just fell flat in the middle, and I should have stuck it out to the end? But I've got a whole queue of stuff that looks so much more interesting, and I've got to move on.

4 comments:

erin j said...

you know i just sent back license to wed and it took me three days to get through it... i was determined to watch it, but the characters got on my nerves. there were several cheeky moments, but it was stressful in the way that everyone was being stupid...
sigh... thanks for the heads up about the nanny diaries though. i ws thinking about it... not so much anymore.

Cue said...

See, here I think the book is better than the movie. Not that the book is the greatest read EVER, but I thought it picked up... or maybe I was more tolerant of it because it's like, hey, that's my life.

penelope said...

I was wondering if you liked the book! I was *this* close to adding onto the end of the post that I'm waiting for Nanny Q's version. I'm sure it would be much more entertaining and well done.

Erin, thanks for the tip on license to wed, I've been holding back, because as much as I love Jim... it kind of sounded like a bomb.

mendacious said...

i know you don't always beleive me bcs i criticize all sorts of movies but STILL. i tried to warn you about this like months ago.