Sunday, February 3, 2008

Spare Time

This is what I mean when I claim I haven't been productive. Over the last 2 months I've been systematically melting down all the candles I haven't used for years and I melted them all over the living room table. I've gotten good at making wicks out of matchsticks, pine, and general debris like magazines and matchstick covers. It's amazing how wax feeds and subdues the flame. And all the candles passing in and out of existence... There has been some flooding... onto my sweatpants, mostly the floor, once my dog Bodo. He was sleeping, didn't sense the wax flood starting at his chest hair. I finally just a few days ago was able to break it down to the last white candle- a small island, and throw the rest away. Hours upon hours, movie after movie, obssesively directing the rivers and building up the bonfires. I can't tell if this exercise was beneficial or destructive when the time produced something so intensely brief and temporal. There is after all very little left.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew, no smoke alarms, no charring... it's all good.

penelope said...

Ever the optimist, I would call that meditative.

Kurt said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Is refinishing the table now on your list of projects?

I know you hate it, but I have to say I'm enjoying the capital letters :)

Andria said...

there's something methodically beautiful. . and yet. . slightly disturbing as well?

really glad ya'll are back. .we'll try to amp up our comments for you, but I personally am always envious of your multiple comments and thought you had a lot of friends - or at least opinionated acquaintances that had something to say.

ashley said...

There's something symbolic here. But, it would ruin it, really, if I tried to say what it was...

Daniel Bruckner said...

Boiled flesh has a similar aesthetic.