Thursday, February 14, 2008

ack!

Okay, so per my New Year's resolution, I do plan on having a large yard sale this year. I'm thinking late March, early April, I haven't really decided yet. The accumulation of crap for this yard sale is tucked in every spare corner of the guest bedroom and the laundry room, and also the shed. It's starting to make me tweaky, and I need to organize it better. I really just want it all gone. Last night, I had this random inspiration that I should just take the big bags of clothes I have and donate them. It's kind of a pain to sell clothes at a yard sale, to organize them and price them out and all, find a way to display them, etc. So I decide to take care of this, pronto, and last night I load up the three large, heavy trash bags into the car for this morning's errand run. In an even bigger flash of inspiration, I remember the clothes recycle bins that sit in the far, far corner of the Target parking lot. I don't know much about them--does anyone know where these clothes go? I probably should have looked into this further, but frankly these days, I don't have time to mess around. I figure whether they're actually donated to a good cause of shreded into bits and literally recycled, it's not a bad thing. The most appealing part of using the bins is convenience; not only are they right by Target, but I don't have to talk to anyone. Just drive up, drop off, and go. Leave the kids in the car. No dirty looks and bullshit, like they tend to give you at the ILM GCF.

The bins look harmless enough, just two giant blue metal boxes with pretty large openings. One bin's opening was larger than the other, and in fact it was kind of bent up, like someone had been extremely determined to cram something in there. I take the heaviest bag first and drop it into the bin with the bent-up opening, because I don't think it will fit in the other one. So I drop in the bag, and someone speaks. A man, with a deep voice, says OUCH!

OMG!

There's someone in the bin! Sleeping? Homeless? Unfortunate frat boy? I mean, on a cold day, if there's nowhere else in the world for you to go for a nap, I would imagine a bin full of clothes wouldn't be a bad idea. Except that people do deposit there. And I had just done so, with a really heavy bag. My adrenaline kicked right in, not knowing what the hell might happen next. What if he started throwing shoes at me? Or even just shouting more at me. I'd probably pee my pants. I ran and grabbed the other two bags, managed to shove them in the other bin with the smaller opening, got in the car and booked it to Target. Laughing a little hysterically, of course. What would you have done?

8 comments:

mendacious said...

omg. that's awesome. um, i might say- what the hell and- you're welcome to anything that might fit... and then yah, i'd totally run.

and i'm totally for you just getting rid of the shite. bcs that's how i roll! dump it! dump it!

~sarah said...

wow! that is fantasic! your own personal oscar the grouch. : )

i probably would've said "um, are you... okay?" as i backed up towards my car.

way to decrease the clutter though! i just wish those bins would spit out receipts for tax deduction purposes. hey, maybe that's why the guy was in there?

"oh i... love... trash!"

Anonymous said...

Hee.

Anonymous said...

roflmao!

ashley said...

I would've been totally paralyzed. Wow. That's so bizarre! Great story, tho.

erin j said...

HOLY MONKEY!!!! WTF?! If it's a nice day, we usually walk from Target up to OUAC to get some energy out... maybe not so much anymore...
That's insane!
On a side note. I think that the Salvation Army runs those and they use the clothes in their homeless shelter...though I could be wrong. Next time call me... we always have a donation pile (we usually go to the Bargain Box...takes 2 seconds and usually no small talk...) and I'll pick up your bags far ya!

Cue said...

Knowing me, I'd probably apologize. Then run. Then pee self laughing.

Andria said...

That's crazy!! I'm impressed you had the wits about you to dump the other two bags! I'm not sure I would have been able to if that had happened to me. I think you have some vibe surrounding you that brings the crazies out? It's freaky, but makes me laugh. a lot. I was just wondering about those bins the other day as I was driving by them and were they really legit?