Sunday, February 17, 2008

attack geese of balboa lake

Okay, so I know we lost our super cool rythmn. Stella is going to get her groove back, it's just that writing in caps is fucking me up. So rather than archive talk I'll talk about yesterday. As you know I'm on a fitness kick, but meanwhile I have my friend Joanna handing me candybars, most likely so she won't ruin her svelte self and then another friend baking cookies. And then Danica promised to make me dessert, which among my favorites is this chocolate tort or tart? To die for. I had to tell her at church today, no. Sorry no. We at FatCamp Mendacious cannot take home an entire whatever it is because you don't want the whole thing in your house because you'll just eat it, either. Stop sabotaging me people. That's all I'm saying. So yesterday, I went to Balboa Lake. Any lake within the greater LA basin is not really a lake but a water resoivor. Some in use, some totally not, but either way. Anyway this one lays in a lovely flood plain, in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, and is flanked by the Sepulveda Dam, a Japanese Garden, an army reserve, a sports facility and an actual location to fly remote controlled planes and kites. It pretty much, almost has everything. It also has a slew of birds. And in particular a gaggle gang of killer geese. They were totally hissing at us and kicking a ton of people off the sidewalk until this old Asian lady took this book she had and gently hurded them off the sidewalk with a shushing, tsk sounding shuffle thing. It was awesome. Everyone else was just wide eyed and what the fuck are those birds hissing?! I can't believe they can hiss?! Why are they hissing. So the Asian lady shooed them and they just waddled and strutted back to the water. Meanwhile after meandering 2miles my left foot threatened to exile itself and I was like, whatever, I'm done- and my dogs were all panting and dehydrated and Bodo was all mad because he couldn't chase the birds or jump in the water. Though like, the geese, he was totally scared of the geese. And Zeppelin was like where the hell are we and who are these people and why can't I go back and sleep on the couch. Next time, I must try and get footage of the geese... and wear pants so I'm not secretly afraid that they'll bite me and make me bleed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those geese do look aggressive. And they have an extra weapon in the forehead bill.

penelope said...

Once again, I do not like birds.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Asian lady... she was wise and old wasn't she. I can see her in my mind's eye.

Hooligan geese, I can't wait to hear more.

Kurt said...

That scared me a little.

Anonymous said...

Birds are scary. Especially hummingbirds.

rc-d said...

snarky swans along the serpentine had me come up with a strategy. mothers pride bread - i think wonder bread will do here. if they were in a good mood i'd break the bread into pieces and feed them, if in a foul mood, i'd roll a slice up into a ball and use it as a weapon.

~sarah said...

this is where you want to take me?!

and... YOU WEREN'T WEARING PANTS????