Monday, February 18, 2008

on a whim

I guess sometimes I don't even know I'm antsy until I take action. Today I rearranged our kitchen during naptime, but it wasn't at all premeditated. I couldn't have told you when I woke up this morning that today would include the following: Kitchen Rearrangement. Probably it won't stay that way too long, because we'll be adding a new cabinet in sometime this year, getting rid of the industrial-ish baker's rack, and it will all have to change again. But for now, the kitchen table has changed its orientation so that it's perpendicular to the deck doors, or I guess they're called "French doors," but that sounds so fancy for our house. Also, K.Lo's kitchen has been relegated to the downstairs play area, the butcher block has moved back to its original home, and K.Lo's table and chair set sits next to the counter. Unexpectedly, it opens up the room quite a bit, just like our recent living room rearrangement. To me, the rearrangement is successful if you look around and wonder how you lived up until that point, how your life wasn't utter chaos with your furniture arranged as such. Not that it won't change again, and give you the same feeling, rendering your former logic illogical.

I'm not even sure what overtakes me, or why. I've always been this way, always thinking in the back of my mind of how to improve? Or how to "settle" a space, iron out its uncomfortable quirks. And then suddenly I leap into action. Probably there is no "perfect" arrangement, just a better arrangement, or an arrangement with a different set of positives and negatives, and maybe at certain points in your life one arrangement will match better with what you require. I did this spontaneous rearranging with my bedroom growing up, with dorm rooms, and now with our own house, although I try to keep it to a minimum because unless it's something like the kitchen, where I can plausibly move the furniture myself, it becomes J.Lo's problem, not mine. Particularly where electronics and wiring are involved. And God forbid I change my mind again.

And then, I also do it on the blog, move the "furniture" around, i.e. the colors and layout, and drive mendacious nuts. Of course, after last month's mishap where I lost the entire sidebar in my Overzealous Quest for A Badass Template, I was self-banned from messing with it for a long time. Not that I care to, because um, look at it. It's awesome. And it was all done by m. The art, the colors and everything. Maybe someday soon she will come to my house and tell me what she thinks of my kitchen. That would be like, neat.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I get the same way! Only I usually manage to make a critical error, like accidentally erasing the hard drive, or tipping over the entertainment center.

Both of these things have actually happened.

Andria said...

My mom is the same way - she'll just decide to make a change and do it. No planning or prepping, just push through. Greg is the opposite and will plan meticulously so that by the time we're actually making the change, I'm over it. I kind of like that I have a balance between them and can do a little bit of prep work, but also not wait worrying about it being prefect to get something done.It can be amazing how a seemingly simple change will impact your emotions or psyche.