Friday, February 1, 2008

january, by pen

Someday, I may or may not blog about the following. It's some of what I would have blogged about in January. Maybe someday you'll be treated to an explanation, maybe you will not.

-One day while it was raining, a teenaged boy, possibly deranged, likely just stupid and teenaged, walked backward down the street for several long paces until I could see him no more. Our corner is apparently a magnet for crazies.

-I wear socks inside the house with no slippers or shoes. Does anyone else do this and also, as a result, have exceptionally dirty-bottomed/holey socks? What is acceptable Sock Protocol. Or am I a total Sock Slob.

-I haven't really been exercising consistently as I aspired to after having Baby 2. But, I don't feel like a complete lump, I'm not eating total crap (only intermittent crap with several bouts of fruit), and so I don't feel too terrible about it? I would like to tone up. I'd like to do more aerobics. But I read once that Kate Winslet, who is beautiful and lovely, is not consistent with her exercise either, that she just does it when she has the time/drive, and so at the moment I am content to subscribe to this same philosophy.

-I saw "27 Dresses" with Mel, incidentally while the boys went to see "Rambo," and I loved it. In one scene, Katherine Heigl is ferociously cleaning her dishes, and says something about harnessing her chi. Perhaps this is what I am going for when I clean to make myself feel better, to reestablish control in some twisted way? Maybe I can just euphemism it all and now say I am harnessing my chi. I've blogged about this topic before, but I can't find the post to link it. Probably you wouldn't have looked at it anyway.

-Heath Ledger died. Mendacious commented that this is a terrible waste of hotness, and I have to agree. It's also just a terrible waste of talent and life.

-We needed to replenish our fish population, as we were down to maybe 9 fish. I swear I don't even see them die anymore, they are just one day dead, eaten, obliterated, and recycled into fish poo. But whatever. Anyway, I bought 5 new sunfire or sunset or sun-something-whatever Platy-whatsits from this guy at Petco who talked exactly like Kenneth the Page on 30 Rock. I mean seriously, if Jack McBrayer had longer, darker hair and worked at Petco in ILM, he would have convinced me to buy all 4 of the one type of fish so one wouldn't be left behind--and then accidentally scoop up another variety and convince me it was entirely okay for that one to be in our tank all by himself. Does he get commission from fish sales? Does he know that he has completely contradicted himself on the subject of so-called fish loneliness? I know not. Anyway, the fourth Platy-whatsit that Kenneth the Petco Fishmonger made me buy died, but I can't even bring the body back for a refund because of course it has disappeared.

-Paige is coming back to "Trading Spaces." Fired 3 years ago, and then invited back by new execs. I never really was on Team Paige, but as I haven't watched "TS" in a long time and suddenly Paige is back, I'm feeling nostalgic and might reconsider.

-The Writer's Strike isn't over. There's a few new good shows on, such as "Breaking Bad," but mostly, TV is a wasteland. There was a really great Strike Survival Guide in EW Magazine. I would have talked about that, if we were still in January.

-Katie Holmes is a vapid, Stepford-wifey space cadet, as fully apparent in a YouTube clip mendacious sent me. I was in denial, hoping she'd snap out of it, but now I'm just completely disappointed and missing Katie of yesteryear.

-Mendacious told me at some point in our project discussions that I have true talent for repression. I'd like to discuss this someday... something about the duality of my snark. I have notes on the matter. But it's not January anymore. So all I can provide is a Maybe and a Someday and a We Will See.

It's good to be back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would prefer just wearing socks around the house, but sometimes it's too cold, or the floor is too dirty. Usually the floor is too dirty (though with black socks it's not such an issue).

And I'm totally for Kate Winslet's exercise strategy. It would be great to be one of those people who goes to the gym or whatever every day, but that's not likely to be me.

Welcome back!

erin j said...

Okay... so I only wear socks. When they get holey or the elastic stretches out too much I throw them away, becasue it bothers me. I refuse to look at the bottom of my socks, simply b/c I don't need reminding how filty my floors are...sigh...
I'm really upset about Heath Leadger... it bugs me that the press is making him into the biggest drug addict ever... also sick of hearing about Britney Spears...
Katie Holmes...just a super sigh..
exercise when you want.. you look great...screw everything else!
so jealous about 27 Dresses... I have it on my Netflix list already...
The petco/superpetz people are dolts. all our fish died from them... of course actually cleaning the tank may have helped in our case...hmmm... note we no longer have a fish tank...
that's it i think.
i think you book idea sounds great! you guys are both very good writers and i enjoy reading your blog. (i almost always wrie in lower case...simply b/c it's easier for me...)

Cue said...

I do the sock thing, too. And, thus, am constantly finding holes in the bottoms of my socks.

Also loved "27 Dresses"!! ...And, am also terribly sad for the loss of Heath AND Katie. I don't know what the hell happened to Katie Holmes, but honestly.

Anonymous said...

Socks? Who needs socks?

Anonymous said...

*raises hand* Socks around the house all the way! And, totally in agreement with erinhjones on the don't look at the bottoms approach...

Adele said...

Dear Patriot,

Enter your shipping address and get your free STRIKEPEN™, complements of Ape Survival™.

They are giving away 700 of their Premium Tactical Pens, you just need to tell them where to ship it!

To get yours, ENTER YOUR SHIPPING ADDRESS HERE.

The STRIKEPEN™ makes for the perfect self-defense tool:

It’s discreet, compact and easy to carry yet is solid enough to pack a brutal blow that will knockout any opponent. Plus, it’s a fully functional pen you’re going to use every day.

But if you want one, you need to act now because the last giveaway only lasted 2 hours before stock was gone.

To get your free STRIKEPEN™ enter your shipping address here.

To a safe future,

[Wade Lightheart]

P.S. Over 2300 STRIKEPENS have already been shipped out so these last 700 won’t last long!

>> Get your STRIKEPEN™ while they’re available <<

P.P.S. Just so you know, the last 700 have been reserved for our subscribers only (This means YOU!) So, don’t miss your chance because they’re going to go very fast!