Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Tearing Up

I apologize for my lengthy absense of late- I've been 'social'. The malaise of February quite worn away, not that the gloom of 'what to do' for my bday isn't looming. I went to see the Tempest, spent the weekend gardening, bowling, bikeriding, monday with a friend... and today stretches before me, like a very tough taffy. And while one day I will incorporate this story into my California Epic I will impart it to you now free of charge as I'm not a money-agent-non/blog-whore.

I had an uncle who used to give me the coolest things ever- 2 costume jewelry pieces, which were consequently thrashed by this hard worn youth- But I saved them, mostly intact. By degrees I got less destructive and when, by dumpster diving, my costume jewelry collection increased I took care to bag and tag all the pieces and mark what was missing on each. And I've taken to wearing them now bcs you know, why not? But whenever I run across these 2 slightly mangled pieces I wish I'd taken just a little more care...

Now as you know we're all about the gardening and I hope one day to recover all the lost barbie shoes, necklaces and diamond earrings lost in the grass of my childhood, though I never have bcs mom won't let me replace the grass; so I am, reflexive or not, always looking for odd bits when I turn over the soil- things i've found: a bullet, lots of old broken glass, a minature army raft, a soldier, marbles-- and these were always on specific excavations. But a few mornings ago, while looking for sacrifices (grubs) to the mockingbirds (gods) I found one of the jems of the bracelet my uncle gave to me. Missing since at least 1991. I turned over the soil a couple times and up on the surface appeared this shiny triangle beauty, face up and waiting for me. 15 or so years later.

4 comments:

~sarah said...

wow. that is so rad! you're like an archeologist unearthing keys to the past! just imagine, that costume jewel buried there for at least 10 years, moving and quaking as the earth shifts, until one day, top soil! cooooooooool.

penelope said...

i second that "wow." it must be so neat to have access your childhood world in such a concrete way... i miss that. it makes me want to drive to upstate NY, knock on some doors, and beg for a little time out in the yard.

Trey said...

It's very magical seeming. cool!

Somebody's Mom said...

I wonder if the missing trowel was traded for the gem by the garden gnomes.