Monday, May 15, 2006

back, and blue

I'm just now catching up on all my favorite DVR'd shows (and blogs!) after being out of town and/or entertaining over oh, I don't know, the past week and a half. My house has never been so clean, and the fridge is full of leftovers, and may I say--ahhh, big sigh of relief. It was a great time, preparing for and pulling off KG's Baptism on Mother's Day, but also a wee bit exhausting. Completely worth it, though--look at that face.


All righty, so it's a smidge untimely, but Top Chef Reunion: Garrrrrr. It was at least as good as the PR2 Reunion, if not even more volatile. Tiffani pretty much made an ass of herself; though I'm intensely curious about her statement of not wanting to be anyone's monkey shortly after exiting the set, and it's true these things are quite staged, she still continued to suck on her shoelaces over and over again. Shut up, Tiffani! For your own sake, geez.

She's not the new asshat, though. Oh no. The New Asshat in Town Award officially must be taken from Stephen,

who actually proved himself quite human (possibly even likable??) during the reunion, and bestowed upon...

Kenneth Lee.

What a jackass. Eliminated in the first ep of Top Chef, the abrasive Irishmen certainly irritated everyone involved in the show, and didn't cook that great to boot, and so was eliminated right away. And I'm all for presenting a certain side of oneself to the camera and creating a character, even a villainous one, if that's what you want to do. It's just TV. However, I don't really think this guy is that smart. He just seems...vile. He laughs rudely and loudly when things aren't funny, he pushes buttons--he's just plain mean. But not in an entertaining way. And if he can't even cook great, what good is it. Hence, asshat.

And now, to the rest of the shows...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the Top Chef reunion. And in total agreement about Stephen. Maybe his carefully square-knotted cravats were simply on too tight during the show. Because stripped of all that fussy trussing, his heartfelt apology to Candice nearly made me teary. In his little t-shirt and flip-flops, I almost wanted to give Stephen a hug. Maybe he's just the Grinch of the Kitchen - the Grinchen, if you will. But during the reunion, his heart grew three sizes and he was ready to use his anger to take down Kenneth's inappropriate laughter. Bravo, Bravo!

penelope said...

The Grinchen, I love it. And I so wanted to give him a hug, too. And he was so honest about how he appeared on TV, and admitting that he didn't like the way he appeared a lot of times. And that cookie cutters ARE appropriate for kids. Unlike Tiffani, on the other hand--I want to like her, sometimes, but she keeps undermining herself. She says, "I'm a NICE person outside of this show," and then she just spouts off bitchy comments right and left, interrupts everyone... Oh Tiffani. Oh, Kenneth. I love Top Chef. What we will do in the two whole months before PR3?

daisy said...

I agree - Stephen: Good. Kenneth: Evil. Tiffani: Needs to learn how to spell her name properly. And what was with Tiffani's need to endlessly steal the spotlight from Dave? I HEART Dave. Big time.