Saturday, November 26, 2005

Stuff IT

We currently have much more mulching to do but I will take a break to tell you, briefly, about my thanksgiving. My hair, can I tell you- was apparently a rousing success. I can sit down now and say, yes, holiday well accomplished. Both outfits- one for the family, the next for friends- which had the hair in an updo and then down, both smashing. I will try to find pictures. Oddly, I don't know if I have any digital ones. Whoops.

My aunt and uncles house (moms side): we get there and only my aunt is there. an hour later and my uncle, his brother, their mom show up after silly car problems and a marie callendars pie- apple, into the gated community on top of the hills in altadena. (this side of the family is dying off, there isn't a lot we can do. and with my brother in minnasota, it's a wee small group.) we talk about: the weather, their yard, the turkey- the thanksgiving meal they bought from Vons, which used to be Ralphs but when it burnt down one thanksgiving they went to Vons and never went back. We talk about: coin collecting, their mom's hip-surgery. digital media. 2 politically incorrect word usages: cripple. and. oriental. Observations: white carpet. Meal: chewy pie, decent bird and gravy. Sub par stuffing... think, why the hell aren't mom and i cooking again? I don't remember. I think: time to go. 4 hours. done. Leave with: no leftovers, dvdrom drive, animusic dvd, 1 "reference copy" of HP which might currently be playing somewhere, 3 non specified "reference copies" of non specified movies. and an "I HEART HACKERS" t-shirt, just for fun and for no other reason bcs we don't do that.

Avoid: Dad's side: Mom and dad however soldier on over. They come back with 2 pieces of information, which my mom sort of just grins over- the scarf that my mom knit for my aunt (dad's youngest sister) out of LOVE after some fricking blood vessel burst in her brain and she was laid up and ailing- my aunt thanks her for knitting it (more than a year after the fact) and says she used it for exercise stretches.

There are NO WORDS.

And then proceeds to point out that they're both wearing hawaiian shirts and why? are they going to hawaii? have they just gotten back? har. fucking. har. people.

My friends house: whom I love, and could not do without. 16 or so of us. We did not play bible trivia- as there were a couple in attendence not of the ned flanders persuasion. i told them, another time. We did play trivial pursuit- questions getting lamer or?... we pettered out and let the boys win. Food: rosemary seasoned bird- tasty, stuffing good... not just the way i like it but very well done. (On friday I had prime rib and scalloped potatos which sort of made up for it.) We talked about: ? I don't remember. The crowning event which was in my mind a comedy goldmine- was the sink was backed up, they questioned whether to run the dishwasher and then curiously M opened up the washer/dryer combo (which is dishwasher adjacent) to check on it or?... what! but water gushed all over him, his shoes, and began racing toward the dining room and thru the kitchen. WOOOSH! L said, it's suppose to be on the dry cycle! But apparently the sink had other ideas. We then proceeded, after my fit of laughter, to empty the water out and toss it out the 2nd story window, and towel after towel to mop up the sewy mess. Ha. Ah. Sure it was a pain in the ass for them, but it's one of those genius events that always get thrown into movies specifically during the holidays TOPPED with the evaaal downstairs neighbor - crotchy and mean (but young to throw you off) to COMPLAIN about water- and blaming- not old pipes or a backed up system but yes, their new washer/dryer combo-- I believe she wants it out. And yes, she is going to register a complaint.

So after all that and more beer and wine- we played a game, packed up the leftovers and around 12 i tried to take the remaining chatty cathys with me, but to no avail. I drove home with love and warmth in my heart, not to mention a wry smile for calamities sake- and a friend-family that doesn't make me bubble with hate. Here's to a successful holiday.

No comments: