Sunday, November 20, 2005

one-fifteen

In a rare configuration of stars and planets I ended up at Pickwik bowling alley last night. 2 recreational activities in one day, and this one cost me much more. on the credit card. and then asking my 2 friends to shill out so i could have something to eat from the cash only snack bar- it was a killer burger and totally worth it by the way. most of the time i hate spontaneity- i like looking forward to,or conversely dreading, hings and the idea of going anywhere last minute i find unsettling. mainly bcs i have a sedentary personality. i was already comfortably settled in my smoking chair, with book in hand reading about kids who are djinn and thinking about the implications of what genii in the world might be and how really it gives humans no credit at all. but whatever it's a kids book. i was also dressed in my jams and had that warm nested feeling with cup of tea in hand. so it was quite a surprise to all involved that i agreed to go anywhere, let alone bowl- in laser strewn, flashing light land, bcs bowling can not entertain unless it's dark, your drunk, there's loud r&b music and your eyes are blinded occassionally by roving lazers. ah cosmic nights. i bowled abysmally the first round and had a humiliating score of 75... the second round i strangely could not break 9, no splits, no strikes, just 8 after 8, miss, 8... then midway thru release i thought, oh my god- i'm bowling wrong. i've been bowling wrong since i went bowling with the MFA writers in chicago. now imagine, you take the ball, and prop it up- steady with the left, balance on the right, you draw the ball back down and behind you as you approach, and then as the ball comes forward, my hand rotates palm DOWN and i essentially FLICK the ball away from me, down the lane. A- said that she was surprised i was bowling as good as i was- as I turned around and said, you guys wait a second, do you release the ball palm up or palm down- and they looked at me mystified. i guess we should've been watching you closer they said. unbelievable i said. my next 2 were strikes and i got 9 split, with the 1 on the right. nice. and then i won. and then i said, what were not playing again? just when? and now that? i can't test my theory about? what if i still suck? what if i don't ever go bowling again the right way? what if this was my last chance

2 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

It takes a special talent to bowl like that.

Anonymous said...

I think the last time I bowled I released palm-down, but that's because the ball was too heavy and I was afraid my hand would snap off at the wrist.

It would be like Thing from the Addams Family.

Maybe that's one reason I hate bowling...