Tuesday, November 1, 2005

The Roving Archers.

Despite the fact that you might think this is some sort of musical showtunes group ala "Men in Tights", it IS in fact a society of actual Archers. Some of them the hunting kind... and the olympic hopeful kind.

And every saturday, yes EVERY saturday they donate their time and teach people archery. For free. Yes, for free. You show up, have a free muffin, get your free equipment and take your free lesson. Man, how awesome is that. For FREE.

You bring a friend or two and it's EVEN better. You get to tell Monty Python jokes to make them mess up their shots and then you go to brunch afterwards. The friend to my left was the teachers pet ; ) and the friend on my right found a dance partner in our instructor AND courted the favor of all the lefties on the range. They even both won the balloon popping contest and came home a $1 richer for their time. My only success was that I brought them there and that my grouping was decent. I'll take it.

We arrived at 830am in order to get equipment so we didn't have to share... and i was giddy with excitement. The volunteers we ran into were "dad" types. Funny, a little stern, dry sense of humor- it was so so so refreshing as I have been surrounded of late by people my own age, in my own industry... and I can't tell you how really awesome it was to just hang out with a community of random people who wanted to learn archery. BREATH-OF-FRESH-AIR.

Our instructor gave us his business card- do you know what he does? He builds telescopes?! His actual business title is "Magellan Project Mechanical Engineer"! WHAT! Sweeeet. How f'in cool is that. Not actor, artist, nor director... but engineer. Hey, maybe I'll find my hot mensa guy here.

This whole experience made me want to start seeking out niche groups all over LA. They're there. I want to be in them- Is this my Rushmore?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, your grouping definitely beat my squares and other geometric patterns. I think the balloon was just luck. ;)

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

SW said...

Keep me updated on the hot mensa guys as well as any niche groups out there. In fact, why not start your own?