Sunday, August 31, 2008

your guide to SEPTEMBER fare, by pen

Oh boy. It’s SEPTEMBER tomorrow! I was excited, until I received the latest EW with a pull-out calendar of September premieres. Then I was SUPER-DUPER excited!! So many things to watch again. This week alone we have premieres of ridiculous but absolutely must-watchable teen fare:

1. Gossip Girl (Monday)

2. One Tree Hill (Monday)

3. 90210 (Tuesday)

4. ANTM (Wednesday)

Also this week, on Wednesday after ProRun, is Top Design. Will anyone else be watching? Is it worth it? Please advise.

On Sunday, September 7, True Blood premieres on HBO, and I’m kind of sad that I don’t have HBO at the moment, but there’s always Netflix, later. (P.S. On the HBO front, does Flight of the Conchords still exist? Please say yes.)

Privileged, more tasty teen fare, premieres on Tuesday, September 9, on the CW. Hope it doesn't stink. 

Tuesday, September 16 brings us House, which I still haven’t gotten into yet, but give me a few years and when I’ve got a little more time on my hands, Netflix it will be. Also that night: Biggest Loser Families. Since I've been exercising and all, and have been doing a few workouts with that scary Jillian lady and hyper Bob, I might not be able to stop myself from tuning in. 

SURVIVOR: GABON starts on Thursday, September 18, and I’m psyched/nervous. The last Survivor in Africa was sort of a bust, but this location looks quite a bit more…fraught with possibilities, let’s say. The 18th also brings us Supernatural and Smallville, which again, I’m not into, but they both fall into “maybe someday on Netflix.”

Sunday, September 21 is the Emmys. Do you watch? I don’t, but I do keep up sort of/peripherally.

Ditto the latter for Monday September 22’s Dancing With the Stars. But I’m WAY pumped about that night’s premieres of Heroes and How I Met Your Mother.

Wednesday, September 24, on a new night, and showing for the first time in forever: The New Adventures of Old Christine. It’s good.

The most exciting night of the whole month for me will be Thursday, September 25: The Office, My Name is Earl, and Grey’s Anatomy all premiere. Ugly Bettty also premieres, for those of you still keeping up (Netflix, someday, for me—I blame the DVR’s limited capabilities). And Daniel Radcliffe will be on Broadway, dropping trou in Equus, which I sadly will not be attending, at least not in reality.

*And also, thank you Andria for reminding me! ER also premieres that night. I don’t watch it, but fully understand its importance to regular viewers.*

The following Sunday, September 28, includes Desperate Housewives, which alas, I stopped watching sometime after the writers’ strike ended, but I’ll be tuning in, just to see what it’s like, since the plot picks up 5 years later. I’m intrigued with this new trend in television; it definitely breathed some life and (limited) plausibility into One Tree Hill. The Amazing Race comes on that night (YAY!). Also, for those who watch, Brothers & Sisters premieres, as well as The Simpsons.

And for your Netflix queue, Forgetting Sarah Marshall comes out on DVD September 30.

That is all. Go forth, and enjoy.

12 comments:

erin j said...

top design... that's the bravo one right? totally loved it... makingfun of people's ridiculous style chioces is always a winner!

Niki said...

I've been needing a guideline like this! Totally excited for GG and 90210 this week! That will tide me over until Grey's.

(Also, Super Dorky me will be tuning in for Dancing with the Stars when it doesn't conflict with other awesomely bad viewing.)

Anonymous said...

I'm beyond excited about GG and 90210 this week. Mainly though, I'm just excited to have a full year of uninterrupted shows. Last years strike was such a disappointment

Anonymous said...

Flight of the Conchords is just starting their second season. Hooray. Someone I work with knows an editor on their show...

Andria said...

Yippeeeee!!! I've never been so excited for September.

Did you catch up enough on GG to tune in fully awares now? I was so hoping that episode saved on my TiVo was a new one and not just a tease! And can't wait for ANTM (I clearly read the date wrong last week) I'm not really sure how I feel about the new 90210. I have it set to record, but I'd say I'm skeptical, but hopeful, but just trying not to get too worked up over it in case it's a bust.

You SOOO need to get into House. I guess it would be best to go back. . we have season 2, so if you get 1, let me know when you need it and I can send it on over. Of course, I haven't seen 1 myself, so. . .

I'm a loyal Smallville fan still.

Not so much DWTStars and I watch Heroes, but mostly because my co-worker really likes it and it gives us something to watch at lunch.

I really like Samantha Who? I think it's pretty cute. And it's just a 30 minute comedy.

I'm sad it's the final season of ER, does that not premiere this month?

Kurt said...

We don't watch any of the same shows.

Me:
30 Rock
Ugly Betty
Samantha Who?
Flight of the Conchords
Lost
House
Monk

I sometimes watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles just for the hilarious girl robot.

mendacious said...

if you insist on watching GG. sigh

my tops:

the office
pushing daisies
southpark
SCRUBS: pen?! mid season.

i'll dial in:
my name is earl
dollhouse: josh whedon's new project? maybe?
the medium

... what's on cable? i'm sure there's loads.

Anonymous said...

M - have you forgotten us? :'(

mendacious said...

OMG aa. sorry! yes of course, ya'all must watch REAPER!

the devil's son romps, catches souls with his lovable comedic pal. it's a good time. and my friend wants to stay in employed. so we must all watch! hurray!

TUES @ 9!

penelope said...

kurt, we can still be friends, it's okay.

and um, people, let's relax! this is september fare only! so many other great shows premiering in the months to come. i would never leave out reaper! and rest assured scrubs, 30 rock, lost, pushing daisies even though i don't watch it, friday night lights, saturday night live... etc.

:)

ashley said...

I'm going to watch ER this season for old time's sake. I remember watching the premiere with my brother when we were in high school. Oh how the years fly.

AND HOUSE??? OMG! It's baacccck!!!! Will Wilson forgive House??? AHHHHH.

Okay. I'm sorry. Deep breath.

I love House.

Anonymous said...

Well, right now we're not on until Jan. or so...probably in Smallville's spot...unless one of the new shows tanks. (And you have to do pretty badly to get yanked off the CW.)