Thursday, August 21, 2008

oh hell. by pen.

It’s becoming unfortunately clear that my informal resolution to avoid all forms of exercise until at least the end of 2008 needs to be revised. I enjoy eating, and I sit around all day. It’s not a good combination. The scale is rising. And while I’d like to kick it to pieces, it occurs to me that I may not have the leg muscles to do it properly, not anymore.

I brought the issue up with J.Lo, and he pointed out that this new plan can bring nothing good:

  • I’ll feel better in terms of activity and productivity.
  • K.Lo will by default involve herself, and so it will be a fun new thing to do together.
  • I might even lose weight and stuff.
  • And gain back some muscle tone.
  • And so then more of my clothes will fit.
  • And then I won’t be all sensitive about the scale.
  • Or worry so much about what I eat.
  • Overall stress levels will fall, while satisfaction levels will rise.

Frankly, it all sounds overly logical to me, but whatever. I ordered a few videos. I’ll exercise. I’ll set a good example for the children. FINE.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered that the local rec center has karate, and judo, and fencing. (And chainmail making, but that doesn't look too terribly difficult to learn on ones own.) For reasonable prices, no less.

Perhaps the same is true on your coast? :)

penelope said...

You know, I thought about that! And then I remembered my abnormal aversion to exercising in public. Hee. It's true.

penelope said...

Fencing would be RAD, though.

Anonymous said...

I figure I made it through my drawing class with other people seeing my work, so this can't be much worse. I'm sure I'll be a klutz at whatever I start, so whatever.

Sadly, fencing is Friday night, which makes it the worst for work conflicts. So I'm debating the martial arts this round.

mendacious said...

hee. good job you! and i say that informally and with a mode of chagrin and non committal appliance to all things stress relieving and good.

Anonymous said...

Never mind "exercise", play and dance. Maybe a hula hoop or two.

Anonymous said...

good for you. I'm a fan of the gym if only for the free childcare. Then I go sit by the pool and pretend to exercise while I watch people do laps.

Andria said...

my boss met his wife at fencing classes. Not that you need a love match, I was just making a connection. whatever.

Good point about the gym affording you some alone time and the kids some play time and what not.