Monday, August 4, 2008

Preperation for the Events of Last weekend.

I record it because it's true:

i had a dream about puppies with rabies, puppies playing with snakes, puppies in grave danger. and the dream interpretation sites said you may know someone, a friend in danger, and the dream told me there was nothing i could do about it. (i told my friend, before i left her house, about the dream.)

the next night i watched the "Cleaner" about a man who tries and gets people clean, kicking the habit and off drugs... he tells me about the failure rate.

the next hour i watch a show called "Intervention" which I've never seen before. 2 stories- one about a meth addict and another about a heroin addict. of which both my friend knows very well.

the next day her mom calls and tells me matteroffactly, as if I'd already known, and kept hidden, and could handle the situation enough to watch someone coming off heroin. will you watch my daughter.

and on sunday afternoon after putting her daughter down for her nap, i give her a massage and pray over her. I pray as I soothe her skin and bones, I pray- god heal her. god give her strength. god help her to surrender and relinquish control. father, may her path be redirected, may she be made new. father, take this evil from her. this corrupting desperate force. this monster. i will all the pain to a point would be taken upon me and give her relief.

i whisper to her, i love you. be well. tell me how you are, even though i know she'll never call. that even though she feels that she can trust talking to me, she cannot with a steady eye face me. i smoothe her shirt. i run my hands over her hair and face. i think, goodbye my friend. goodbye. may i see you in the light of a new day. may you know the sun again and the quiet reassurance of a healing love.

3 comments:

ashley said...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7)

Certainly a prayer as lovely as that brought healing - even if for a moment - to a weary soul. As for the long-term, it will take the One called upon. May it be so.

mendacious said...

may it be so.

penelope said...

sigh.