Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Right Kind of Day or 3:3:3

Went with Mom down to my favorite beaching place an hour south of here, which is north.


We arrived at the sandy golden fair playground with its epic and inviting waters- almost warm, but clear and calm. We saw dolphins and pelicans dive bombing the water and people swimming and sailing and a fresh breeze and it was all just to die for idyllic. I only imagined a few times getting eaten by a shark, but still felt mostly like a fat seal the entire time, which then after i ate and then went back to swim, i felt like a seasick seal, and that is just beyond completely lame. However, we peresevered and mom even joined me in the water and it was just very nice to have company for once since I don't think since high school have I known people that like to play in the water like I do. And I don't even consider myself dedicated.

So the day rushes by in a mostly brilliant haze except for the reddish tint on my face and the sand in my lady parts and we made it to the outlet mall where I found 2 skirts for $20total and a teal shirt. Color of the ocean- Fan-tastic. Having had my fill of corndogs and nakedjuice mango I slumped into my car seat and made my way home.

And then I saw it:
3 months. 3 wks. 3 days.

Until THE TRIP.
Totally, totally excited...

Which in its own idyllic right deserves its updates:

Things still to do: final Hep A/B shot
Things to find: Money... can my work raise come thru and help make things even better?!
Things to buy: shoes, bras, daypack, shorts, couple shirts, memory cards, camera?, (list to be published later when more completish)
Things recently searched for: jacket, day pack. Results: failed.
Things needed to be read: travel books.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the beach, soft sand with sparkly mica bits, gentle breeze. The water was very clear besides being comfy. The waves were nice, long stretches with minimal swells, so it was just pleasant to be in the water and not a lot of work and then a large swell or two or three, jump up into or dive under, just like days of old. M hasn't mentioned that she found a killer parking spot on only the second circle of the area north of the pier. A spot with out a time limit or parking meter! Just two blocks from the sand. And I found two pairs of slacks for the office at $10 each! - Somebody's Mom.

penelope said...

Yay for the water and good company and skirts!

So I suppose then it's 3:3:3 until you're leaving me. All alone. Hmph. :)

Kurt said...

Take:
earplugs
photocopy of passport
small Sharpie

~sarah said...

i highly encourage you to bring the following:

- sinus meds and all other trappings, like tissues, lots of tissues
- a "clean set of clothes," i.e. clothes only to be worn when you are clean and,say, relaxing for a meal, for bed, etc. HIGHLY encourage this
- your own tea bags with special teas to aid in tummy troubles and sleeping troubles
- chocolate caramel nut brownie luna bars
- an extra toothbrush, in case you drop one in the toilet
- two sets of earplugs
- metal water bottle (the hard plastic kind eventually makes your water taste like plastic)

i'll let you know if i think of anything else i brought to kenya and was super grateful for or wish i'd brought to kenya. : )

~sarah said...

thought of one more - sensible flats of the almost-but-not-quite-sneakers kind. case in point, i brought hiking sneakers and flipflops. the flops were to go with my dress and be my "nice" shoes. then i sprained my ankle and couldn't wear the flops. cut to me at a super nice nairobi restaurant in a lovely skirt and hiking sneakers, wishing i would've brought some flats. : )