Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fruit Fact Thursday: the KIWI

  • When googling Kiwi, it’s best to go with “kiwi fruit,” or “kiwifruit,” or else you’ll get the bird. And this is FRUIT facts, not Animal Facts. That’s the facts.
  • Kiwi is considered a berry, and in fact was once known as the Chinese Goose Berry.
  • Kiwifruit is furry—er, “fibrous”—on the outside and bright green on the inside, with tiny black seeds.
  • Kiwi is the national fruit of China.
  • It’s grown in China, New Zealand, Chili, France, Greece, Japan, and certain areas of the United States.
  • The “gold kiwifruit” is sweeter, less tart, pointy on one end, and less furry. You can eat it whole after simply rubbing off the skin.
  • Kiwis are so GOOD for you! They contain vitamins C, A, and E, potassium, omega-3’s. They are also high in fiber.
  • Kiwi also contains a protein-dissolving enzyme called actinidin, which can be an allergen. So, people allergic to latex, papayas, and pineapples will probably be allergic to the kiwi, too.
  • Kiwi is a natural blood-thinner.
  • You can actually eat the skin, which makes it taste even more tart… but ew. Texture issues. I shudder a bit just thinking of it.
  • Otherwise, just peel or cut that skin off, slice it up, and voila. Kiwis are extremely yummy and I recommend them highly. They are also, of course, uber-cheap at the ol’ Costco. I know you’re shocked.
  • And if you’re lucky, maybe you have an antique spoon with which to fully enjoy the kiwi. I’m sad to say I do not.

4 comments:

Kurt said...

I eat the skins! Wash them real good and much of the fuzz comes off.

Andria said...

ick! (on the skin part) but Kiwi is interesting. . I eat it, but I can't really say that I like it much per se.
I do think it takes very beautiful pictures, though! great shots.

mendacious said...

i love fruit fact thursdays!
and eating kiwi out of a spoon! YUM.

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Kiwi. I have a special kiwi spoon someone brought me from New Zealand. (Serrated edge to cut the kiwi combo with a spoon to scoop it out...plastic, so I don't think it works better than a real knife and spoon.)

They brought back kiwi vodka too, but I wasn't around to taste that.