Saturday, July 26, 2008

Night Showers, by Pen

I'm a recent convert to this phenomenon. It happened by fluke, really, when I cut *shower* out of the usually obligatory routine one day for the sake of getting the hell out of the house in a somewhat timely fashion. I'll do it later, I thought, and do it later, I did. After the children go to bed, it's like totally fantastic. Washing that day right out of your hair. It's alone time, for one, which doesn't seem to happen really with a daytime shower, because you've got to be in tune to house events all the while, as best you can, making sure no child is screaming or coloring the walls, or dying in some imaginative fashion. And it gets the grime of the day off one's shoulders, all the battles, the strategery, the soap bubbles and the crumbs. And then I can change into my comfy clothes, snuggle up with the J.Lo, the TV, and the Internets, and not think about being parent to the children for awhile.

Until one of them screams, and I must clock on duty again.

But whatevs, the benefits are substantial, and night showers it is.

6 comments:

erin j said...

It's the only way to go... unless there is some really disgusting incident at night, or I don't feel well...it's night time for me... The best time of the day sometimes!!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

mendacious said...

i just took one- mmm. wonderfulness.

but and this is for another blog another day- but there's something about my psyche also that resists them- like i deliberately want to hangonto whatever crap i've been dealing with. an utter reluctance. like tonight. i thought, why not wait till morning... and i thought this is crazy... get it off you right now! : | and already i feel lighter and more like myself than i did before.

penelope said...

interesting...a touch of masochism, in resisting the night shower? do explain. maybe the night shower is just so healing, and you wanted to mull a bit more before letting it go?

Anonymous said...

I've been a big fan of night showers for a long time. I am NOT a morning person, so anything I can do before is one less thing I'll have to make me even later. Plus, I just like feeling clean when I crawl into bed. The advantages of solo time and being able to actually relax and enjoy the spray of water cleansing you are great, rather than rushing to rescue a screaming child, etc.

Cue said...

This has totally become my new thing, too! But mostly 'cause it is 90+ degrees here, and I don't have AC at my house, and by the end of the day I am gross. Lovely, right? But I agree -- it's a pretty awesome thing.