Sunday, July 20, 2008

Congregation of Vapors, by M

My saturday was consumed with painting the universe on the theatre floor and for Hamlet no less. Since it is one of my favorite all time plays, for a friend, for my old theatre company, I had a hard time saying no. So I said yes. In my old life , from about 14-24 I was heavily involved in the theatre and then I ran away to Chicago to find the writer and artist in me- I've never been able to find my way back and it does in fact represent a lonely gaping hole in my life- but theatre is demanding - an all consuming mistress- so I suppose I'm looking for a perfect alignment of stars in order to get back there. All this to say it was weird to go back to a place where I'd spent so much time. Probably what made me so agitated and restless being there- though at the end of the day, I did have a vague sense of being watched or haunted. It would not surprise me. Anyway when I finished I hated it. Or was rather very dissatisfied as my body was crying and my back aching and my head blurring... It was a little overzealous and INSANE of me to try and do it all in one day-- but I did, whatever, it's done. And I'm going to get back to loving it a little bit more and will probably be sad to know it was painted over. But hey, 1st large scale work, first universe. Not a bad days work.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the best painting of a set floor ever!

How bout doing the bathroom like that? It's small.

penelope said...

you painted the universe, that's so rad.

i'm way into the bathroom idea.