Thursday, July 24, 2008

Night Showers, by M

let me just say first: night showers = amazing. they are my preferred method of showering. for one afterward, when you go to bed and get btw the sheets you're all silky and smooth and luxuriant and clean feeling and you don't just slip into that ordinary going thru my day like i always do. it's a conscious, mmm i feel lovelygood. i also find, sometimes, going to bed with damp hair increases their curl (no gravity) which lets me wake up feeling even cooler and more awesome then when i went to bed. i love waking up with tousled wavvy hair- no blowdryer needed. i can't help it. plus its just a good way to decompress after the day, a little recap, a little core warming/cooling depending. i cannot say enough about night showers.

i was a little stressed on wednesday and my initial instinct was just to just go home but i pushed through and found myself at the gym and then in the glorious water- which despite its chlorinated form and its increasing need for filtering and vacuuming, it felt so good to dive down and hit that mirrored ceiling before you break the surface with the bubbles trailing behind you in the blue. it still makes showering unfortunately necessary despite itself. but water definitely must have healing properties. we are composed of it.

but too often showering is seen as a chore, like brushing teeth and is too often associated with our obsessive need to be odorless, clean and have dry skin, brittle hair- which is all symptomatic of over showering and yes, the weather. but when i'm in my right line of thinking showering becomes a glorious way to honor all of me. down to my delicious oil-tangerine-sugar scrub from TraderJoes to my pomegranate body wash. shuffling off dead skin, moisturizing, meditating and giving my body that whole tingly alive but calm feeling.

and there's something about doing it at the end of the day, that gives you pause to everything you've just been through or done. and helps sometimes to evaporate it, dispel it, or nurture whatever it is our psyche is churning over.

mmm. awesomeness.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Yep.

penelope said...

Truly.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, my hair does not do well without a morning shower. (Though if it's been hot I will do a quick rinse to cool off before bed.) Plus, both my roommates do evening showers, so there's less competition for our old hot water heater in the morning :)

Kurt said...

Ummm. And a warm shower sometimes helps you go right to sleep.

bitchlet said...

Sleeping right after a hot shower increases the curliness of my hair to a large extent. My head becomes a large bouncy circle.