Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bad Workout Mojo

Worst workout in history!

Though my amusement at the gym has waned with the lack of said posts about ever-sweaters (guys who sweat allovertheequipment) and sweaty-cakes (girls who wear makeup to the gym)... and well jason the trainer and i, broke up, like i just couldn't afford the lifestyle he kept throwing me into. But everything slipped into a tranquil bliss of liking to go to the gym and routine and the pool being one sanctuary that I looked forward to... though it be small and humble.

I had a recent knee injury as it's all angry and sorta swelly- I blame my affection for the rowing machine. Anyway which means I've amped up my swimming, and lately my time in the pool has been unpleasant-- with summer it's brought out all the bullies.

And by bullies I mean people who walk in with the attitude of hi, i'm an aggressive swimmer. People fear me in the wake that I create. I will kick and plow with an unparalleled and disruptive vengeance because as you see I'm very VERY serious about what I do. And I will somersault, violently pushing off from one end to another. Mostly these asshats are male but occasionally we get a gung-ho asshat girl. Yesterday they all came out in record numbers, scaring all the quiet, graceful water nymphs away.

I maintained my position as a fight for all the meditative meek ones out there, though I'm not that. I'm just a middle of the road big woman who wants some peace and quiet and not the pool lapping up at me like I'm in open water. At one point 2 guys come in (speedos, caps, goggles, swim toned bodies- sure asshat warning signs). I see the one in the redhat jump into my lane already filled with one marginal ass-hat and me...who uses hand paddles to improve performance. (eyeroll) I think you've got to be kidding. And sure enough midway thru he collides with me, pops up and tells me pertly that "It's protocol. We swim in a circle."... Right. Like I can keep up with tweedle-dee and his dumber brother. In a beat he moves to another lane and collides with ANOTHER person. An older man who, by the time I popped my head up was fully chastising him about courtesy, manners and not being an ass-hat, bringing all the people in the pool to a water-dropped screech. He stuck it out with the 2 asshats in his lane, defiant. Daring them to provoke him. By then a vast desert of awkward muck had evaporated most of the swimmers. I moved into the middle lane, quiet and peaceful which was not to last.

Abruptly ruined by an older ass-hat who was putting on fins. Yes. Fins. Whose opening line to me was "Want to watch a beautiful body in the water?" ... He promptly took off and flipped water into my face. I thought, that's it. I have to leave. I've been broken. They've beat me. I got out and sat in the bubbly hot water goodness and tried not to think of ways to drown them all, but it persisted all the way out of the gym and home. Fully marinated in badvibes and hostility.

I need to return to the gym just like returning to the murder scene. Try to sort it out, understand, walk in a place that's normally so full of peace and goodness that it's incomprehensible that such evil could take place there. Maybe lay some flowers down and put it to rest. And hope it won't happen again. Or if does have a better answer for it than murderous rage? Maybe not.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw. Sad day at the pool for you. But awesome that someone else chewed him out. Maybe they need to label the lanes: Paddling, medium, and have at it dingleberry. Like they do at some of the airports through security (though sadly not in Seattle when I was waiting in line forever at 5:30 in the morning).

Don't let it keep you from the pool!

Andria said...

sadness they can destroy your tranquility and good vibes so tragically. Go Granpa, though, for putting they jackhole in his place! That had to be a flicker of enjoyment.

Kurt said...

Gung-ho asshat girl, indeed.

Best post ever.

Cue said...

FINS? Are you kidding me? ...I just had an incredulous laugh-out-loud moment. Thank you for sharing this! Here's to taking the power back.

Anonymous said...

Back to the murder scene? When were you ever at a murder scene? What are you keeping something from us?

Kurt said...

Best post ever.

penelope said...

My jaw dropped twice: once at the word "fins," and once at the word "protocol."