Monday, October 1, 2007

dear october,

If there were any year I would love for you to break your streak of general blah-ness, it would be this one. I don't always feel fair in saying that luck-wise, October is my worst month, because it does contain several friend and family birthdays, along with J.Lo's, and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the fun in those celebrations. Not to mention Halloween! And it's fall, and the weather finally cools off from the oppressive heat of summer. So there are lots of good things, really, about you, October, it's just maybe cosmically? for me, I have great luck and high energy in the spring, and a general feeling of ickiness coupled with some bad luck in the fall, particularly October.

But maybe it's all a matter of perspective.

As far as Baby N.Lo, yesterday was still September, but I'm still exhausted from it. What I have dreaded more than anything with labor is the False Alarm, i.e. going to the hospital and being sent home. I mean, I know it happens all the time, and you live, and you have lost little, other than time, the emotional energy of thinking you're having a baby, and perhaps some pride. It is not, in the end, really a big deal. But here's what happened:

All morning yesterday, beginning early, like before the dawn, I was having contractions. Baby N.Lo is scheduled to arrive in about 3 1/2 weeks, so hello... kind of unexpected. And actually, he would be fine, if born so early--"they" say that at about 37 weeks, lung capacity is adequate for delivery, and your baby is still considered full-term. We're just a tiny bit outside of that, so I imagine (and hope) we'd be all good. Anyway, back to contractions: 10 minutes apart, then 8, then 4. When I had K.Lo, I had in my head just what I knew from books and classes and such: Go to the hospital when contractions are less than 5 minutes apart, consistently, and intense enough that you are unable to walk or talk during them. The intensity part just never happened, but the timing was there, I was a day past my due date, and so we went, and K.Lo was born.

This time, the intensity was there, as was the timing--four two straight hours, I recorded 4 minutes apart. And so I threw some more things in my bag, J.Lo loaded it all up in the car, left K.Lo with her grandparents, and off we went to the hospital.

Another thing you read/hear about re: labor is that you probably shouldn't eat a lot. I wasn't very hungry anyway, but I figured, okay, I'll have it a little bit of food, and it will be what I like... right? Had 2 donuts in the morning and later some potato chips. If only I had a camera to capture the look on my nurse's face. I totally knew it sounded bad, but what can you do. Anyway, after the oh-so-lovely pelvic exam, in which it was determined that I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced, it was also determined I was possibly... hungry. So they gave me a microwave meal of chicken and stuffing and mashed potatoes, as well as a sugary drink, oj mixed with Sierra Mist.

Meanwhile, I am thinking if I am sent home because these contractions are really hunger pains, I will never live it down.

But, they were not. After eating the meal, my contractions did space out, but holy hell, they were strong. I don't remember them being that strong the last time until well after my water was broken. Ultimately, though, they must have been unproductive, because an hour later, there was no change, i.e. Baby N.Lo was not ready, and there was no point in staying at the hospital. They gave me a sleeping pill and sent me on my way--the idea being that I needed rest, and if it were true labor, it would continue regardless of the sleeping pill.

I guess, as odd as it seems to me, it was false labor. I feel tired, queasy, and weird, with no real contractions. I don't particularly feel disappointed that we didn't have the baby yesterday, as it's early, and at this point I'm not really in a hurry. He will be ready when he's ready. The nurse did say, though I take it subjectively, that she didn't see me making it to my due date, but we will see.

I guess I just feel a little like I've been through the wringer. Another WTF moment, if you will. Babies are weird, y'all. The beginning of a life is just as unpredictable as the end. It's just the Waiting and the Wondering that will get you.

So anyway, October. This year, maybe you could ease up on your usual antics? September 30th did not bode particularly well, although I suppose it just was what it was. In the meantime, if you could go ahead and arrange a Clear Sign that it's time to go to the hospital, that would be great. Rather than this whole vague contraction business--maybe some water breaking?? It would really make things a lot easier.

xoxo,
pensive pen

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was the bowling, wasn't it? Argh, I thought you were kidding and then I made that crappy joke about being a first responder.

I'm glad all's well, though :)

penelope said...

no, no! no worries, it was not the bowling. if anything, it could have been carrying a ginormous box of books around at the book sale. the bowling ball only weighed 9 pounds.

mendacious said...

that wouldve been awesome if you gave birth IN the bowling alley.think of the cellphone pix! N'lo would have stories for life! oh and also he was probably pissed you only gave him donuts ; ) this kids going to be one of those give 'em sass types. glad you're back or okay or something.

off to work. weeeee.

penelope said...

okay but seriously, birth in a bowling alley=a little gross? and i say that with all my love for 10 pin alley, the only bowling alley i've ever met that was clean, not too terribly smoky, and has an impressively tasty and diverse menu.

i do pick up a 25-lb toddler on a regular basis and throw her around. the bowling was nothing.

~sarah said...

"The beginning of a life is just as unpredictable as the end. It's just the Waiting and the Wondering that will get you."

Very profound and slightly hidden within the post. Thought I should give it it's props. : )

Anonymous said...

I visited a friend this past weekend who had her first baby last week. It was the type of thing usually reserved for sitcoms: on the day she hit 37 weeks, her water broke, and then she had to make a mad dash to pack her bag, get to the hospital, etc. All went well, though. Here's to an easy, graceful entrance for N.Lo.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Sarah's props.

October is a good month for babies...and I'm totally biased. Although I surprised my mom (her water did break) 3 weeks and 3 days early.

I'm so glad you didn't give birth in a bowling alley. Good story, but ew, gross.

ashley said...

Baby N. Lo just wanted to inspire you to write such a fabulous post.

Anonymous said...

Laura T-R will harrass you forever if you don't make it to your workshop, so you better tell N-Lo to hold out for another week!

Andria said...

wow, that's quite a story. I'm glad things worked out ok (and you avoided the bowling alley birth and wrote a fabulous post from it all). I have never been a big fan of October myself, but it's definitely growing on me now. I think it will be a good month! I love cooler weather and lots of candy, so. . .
I was soooo thankful my water actually broke last time, because I was also fearful of not having a clear sign to go to the hospital. I wasn't expecting it because it's only like 15% of women who have their water break on it's own before being at the hospital with contractions, I think. In fact, even while it was happening, I was still thinking, "ok, is this really my water breaking?" and then I'd get reassurance with another gush. (Sorry if this is TMI for some folks). So, good luck! I can't believe we're at the end of this journey! And on the brink of the next. . .

Anonymous said...

I think you will not make it to your workshop. And I think this is perhaps the ONLY valid excuse. And actually fine with me as I will be stitched up like Frankenstein. But if you do make it, I will be very impressed and possibly even inspired to attend myself (with Michael Jackson surgical mask or veil or groucho mustachio.)

penelope said...

thanks, all.

and i'm totally doing all of this on purpose just so i can avoid being workshopped. although i might put it all on hold just so i can see laura in a groucho mustachio.

Cue said...

"The beginning of a life is just as unpredictable as the end. It's just the Waiting and the Wondering that will get you."

Amen, sister.