Thursday, April 12, 2007

почему (why)

I've been enjoying Cycle 8 of ANTM, as usual, because clearly I have a weakness for vapid, girly TV. Especially this spring: PCD, ANTM, The Bachelor: Officer and a Gentleman? I should be embarassed. (And yet, no. No I am not.) So far, I haven't really found a favorite on ANTM, but last night an unlikely model popped to the forefront of my Pick List: Natasha. Natasha?! How odd. Even odder, I kind of like Renee as well. Was it the mom thing? I found myself crying a thousand rivers when a) Renee and Dionne were reunited with their babies, and b) Natasha had a meltdown over not being able to see hers. Luckily, I can play the pregnancy hormone card here, as otherwise I would feel horribly ashamed at my copious weeping.

I don't know if it was the mom thing, and I have to say, even though Renee is growing on me more and more, like a fine bathtub mildew, I do not fully buy her transformation into Nice Girl. Frankly, I don't care whether she's that nice or not; I do appreciate realness. Then there's Natasha, who from the beginning has downright baffled me. Is she a genius, and there's just a language/culture barrier? Dumber than a box of rocks? Why was the concept of "teacher's pet" so difficult to grasp in that one photo shoot? What about the Russian mail-order bride thing. And she's a parent? And a college student? Her husband's over 40, wha? And what is up with that hair, like why's it so big. And the vapid/perky persona she presents at panel, taking every criticism and turning it into a sunshiney compliment. What is the deal. Natasha, you are an enigma.

But she's getting so much better at modeling, is the thing. The bicycle-pumped hair has deflated into a glossy little ponytail, she walks with authoritai. And the photos are getting smart. Whereas people like Jaslene, who started out so fierce, are becoming more vapid, unoriginal, and ho-hum as the weeks go on. Then there's Jael, whose very presence on ANTM befuddles me. Yeah, there were some all right pics in there. But on the whole, I just don't see "model," at all. And every time she speaks all I hear is gruff, jumbly drivel falling out of her mouth. It's easier to decipher Natasha's dialect.

My predictions for top 2 are Brittany (whom I also love, but am disappointed re: the weave, like why couldn't they have done something more exciting after removing the dead squirrel?) and, I'm just going to put it out there, Natasha. Third from the top may be Renee. Or maybe it won't be Natasha, and I'm temporarily delusional/optimistic. Maybe Dionne will get her in-person appearance together and rock out. Maybe Jael will learn to talk. So many questions, so much time enjoyed--um, I mean wasted, in seeing it all unfold.



P.S. to Tyra: Quit using the "persona" names, i.e. Brown, Nata, Nene. They're dumb, and everyone else seems to have forgotten them.

4 comments:

mendacious said...

evil force indeed!

Andria said...

I am right there with you! I have liked Renee from the beginning really, but then she lost a little bit in the middle being so two-faced, but seeing her with her family really made her shine and I think she is smart. I still love her death/overdose photo. Natasha has really been growing on me the past couple of weeks, too! I do think it's funny how her head is sideways or upside down in EVERY single panel picture! That's craziness (ok, except that 4 expressions collage, which I loved; what great use of her hands, not just her face!) I found it hilarious that she turned everything negative around to a positive. I felt like she just didn't understand what was being said to her. But, I definitely think she's improved and I love her sleek ponytail. I wish my thick frizzy hair would look like that at times.
When Jael speaks, it makes me cringe! Sometimes, I think her pictures are ok, but I agree, I am at a loss as to why she's really there. I really like Britanny, too. I think she has flawless skin and takes gorgeous pictures. Could be I'm partial to red hair, but I think it's weird they don't really show much about her personality at all. She doesn't get much camera time so I feel like I don't really know much about her. Did you notice that the twins faces were all pixel-y and that's why she stood out so much between them?! I thought that was really weird. I liked that concept of recreating past moments/scenes with the past people! I thought that was fun and creative. I didn't like Jaselyn in the beginning, but I'm kind of sad she's slipping so much!

Also, what was up with all of the dubbing over in the episode at panel? Tyra clearly adding in the comic book angle comments afterwards - did you notice? It really bugged me, because it was poorly edited.

And the stupid names?! Really, drop them, it didn't work at all.

Ok, so there's my own post of a comment!

penelope said...

Yeah, it's like the twins (love the twins!) were faded out so that Brittany popped. Weird. I did love that the previous people came back though, that they're actually seeming to have some success as models. And I HATE the Tyra voiceovers, they're cheesy. They do it on the Apprentice all the time as well, with the Don.

Come on, mendacious, why aren't you watching yet?

mendacious said...

welllll, i did watch the first couple- or at least i remember the photo shoot with the dead bodies... and then i just lost track...