Tuesday, January 9, 2007

new grooves

I think it was in a college class where I learned that music makes a little map in your brain when you hear it. So the songs you've heard and loved before have already made their grooves in your mind, and when you hear them, they fall in instantly. Whereas new songs, songs you aren't familiar with, have to cut an entirely new path, which might explain why it's harder to accept them right away.

I'm the kind of girl who likes to listen to a song or CD over and over and over (and over and over and over) again before changing it out. It drives J.Lo, who regularly brings tall stacks of different CDs to and from work, crazy. If I pick him up from somewhere, sometimes I'll change over to the radio before he gets in, out of embarassment. Because seriously, I must average about one CD a month in the car.

My mom gave us her "old" (i.e. a year old) ipod last year, and I immediately handed it over to J.Lo. I knew he would get way, way, way more use out of it than me. He could create a massive song list on the computer and change it out whenever, and he did--still does. He uses it in the car, at the office. And I was just as happy for him to have that.

I asked for an ipod for Christmas because while the desire wasn't as pressing, I thought I could get some use out of it. On walks, or while vacuuming, gardening, or whatever. It'd be way more manageable than the Discman, and way less primitive than the pocket radio. So J.Lo hooked me up with the nano, and I have to say... I love it so.

I listen while I'm reading, mainly, and while taking care of some of the chores around here, and it totally transforms the world. It's like your life literally set to a movie soundtrack, as I've heard Kim discuss. How fantastic is it to dust to the songs you love--as many times as you want in a row, without assailing the ears of those around you?

I notice, though, that as ever, I'm falling into the same old habits. My playlist is pretty long, and because the ipod is convenient to use, I purposely included some new stuff on there so that I could, I don't know, actually listen to it? Like the new Amos Lee, Sarah Harmer, Donovan Frankreiter, and Madeleine Peyroux CDs we received for Christmas. All on there, and yes, I've listened to them each one time apiece. Then there's OKGO, which I've been curious about since the VMA awards because they seriously look like fun. Made it through a track or two, one time only. And the Little Willies--I love Norah Jones, why haven't I listened to the Little Willies yet? Most of the time I scroll through the Artist list and I'm like, totally I should listen to... hmmm, yeah nevermind. Maybe later. And it's always The Beatles, and Simon & Garfunkel, and John Mayer, and Amos Lee (the old album), that I'm drawn to. It boggles the mind that I'm so in love with all of these--how and when did my ever-resistant brain allow those old grooves to form? And am I going to do the same thing to The Shins on January 23rd, dissing Wincing the Night Away for the known comfort of Oh, Inverted World? I should hope not. Talk about missing out.

12 comments:

ashley said...

Ditto. I love David Gray so much that I went and bought all his old stuff - Flesh and A Century Ends and Sell, Sell, Sell. And yet, when I get the yen to listen to something, I inevitably pick up Lost Songs and White Ladder.

And how is that some albums can transcend time and place, and others you only listen to when you want to remember their connection? Like Room for Square - any time, any place. And then...Smashing Pumpkins, Pices Iscariot? Totally junior year high school. But still good. Hmmm....the mysteries.

Cue said...

I'm obsessed with the Killers album right now. To the point that it's the only CD I've been playing in my car for two weeks. Perhaps I need an ipod.

penelope said...

Room for Squares actually takes me back to year 2 of grad school, as does White Ladder... Smashing Pumpkins! Junior year of high school was one of the most singularly depressing of my life, and yet the songs/albums from that time totally suck me in, take me back, and I'll listen to them over and over. It's like musical masochism.

And then there are the CDs that you instantly connect with, and I wonder if those grooves are forged more easily because you're reminded of something else? For instance, I'm listening to Gomez at this very moment, I'm barely a track in, and I already know I'm in love.

penelope said...

And the Killers--totally on my ipod playlist, I love them dearly, and yet it's one of those I'll forgo for The Beatles. Must bond with Sam's Town, pronto.

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere or heard someone important say that when you learn a musical instrument as an adult your brain actually grows-- like real measurable growth in little spikey spots.

penelope said...

Perhaps we should form a band? I'll play kazoo.

Anonymous said...

Obviously, I'm on the ukelele.

mendacious said...

i'm the same way- for instance though i have a few cd's in the cue i will not advance them until i'm ready to move on from my new johnleehooker cd... before that i went thru a maria callas phase alternating with cake and rushmore soundtrack. also for the very reason of listening to the favorites- sometimes i love listening to the arch and emotive energy of an entire album. and having things in my ears make them ache... i fear i shall never embrace the technology and thus have this one archaic skeleton in the closet- as my friend matt has already made me feel old by saying-you still BUY these?! yes. a beautiful shiny cd in a case with original album art... yes. yes i do.

daisy said...

Give OK Go another chance. Really. I never seem to listen to music anymore, despite getting the sweet 80G iPod for Xmas (thanks mom! not that I hope she is actually reading this...), but when I did, they were on heavy rotation.

I liked it when I lived in the ILM and people made Mix CDs for me. We should start a club. If you guys have time between band practices.

Andria said...

I love "In the Arms of a Woman" We have it on a mix CD and I play that one track over and over again. I need to listen to more of his stuff.

Curiously, you can listen while you read? I'm amazed by that feat. I think I'm too easily distracted.

I love a lot of music that I grew up listening to from my parents - Paul Simon, Jackson Browne, Little Feat. It all has a really deep groove, I suppose.

I've never been in a band, but all bands need more cow bell, right?

Somebody's Mom said...

You simply have not lived in a soundtrack until you have driven with Amelie's soundtrack in the cd player. Especially if there is a bit of rain and you have the windshield wipers on.

Cue said...

YES, Room for Squares is totally Fifth Ave in Wilmington for me, too. That and Norah Jones, and David Gray, and the first Coldplay album...

Matt Pond PA will always go with the memory of that shitty week last March, for me. I saw him live when I was in Austin. Still frickin' love that album, though.