Monday, January 29, 2007

Five (Obviously Weird) Facts About Pen

Thanks, megs, for the tag. So here goes:

1. I used to get really inspired ideas for writing in the shower. Now whenever I take a shower, all I can think about is how much I hate our shower caddy for rusting, and how I hate shower caddies in general. Metal rusts; plastic mildews. It seems there is no good solution for shower product storage. And it's such an eyesore. The last time I purchased a shower caddy, I actually applied white rustoleum to the rod prior to installation, which worked--but I failed to spray the baskets. I'm wondering if I could keep up with mildew, and/or if a plastic caddy would be aesthetically pleasing enough? Or maybe I should just buy yet another (though final??) metal caddy, rustoleum the whole thing five times over, and call it a day.

2. Whenever I pull down the attic door, I get really scared and kind of wince because I'm afraid it's going to hit me in the face a la Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Even though attic doors typically aren't on rollers like Clark's in the movie. Ours isn't. (I can't, by the way, remember if I've blogged about this before, but there it is.)

3. When I cut things with scissors, my jaw opens and closes in time to the cutting. I didn't realize this until last night when J.Lo kindly mocked me for it. So I tried to cut with my jaw sealed shut, and it was really hard. I wonder if this is similar to the Mouth Open While Applying Mascara phenomena, as detailed by Bridget Jones.

4. I mispronounce words on a regular basis, which only compounds my Fear of Talking. Most often, it's a word that I've previously pronounced correctly, but there's some sort of synapse misfiring that happens (which I watch in my brain like an unstoppable traffic accident), and it just comes out all wrong. Sometimes it's a word I've read but have never spoken, or heard spoken out loud, so I give it a whirl and fall right on my verbal ass. It's particularly embarassing considering that my degrees relate to language. Also, this is something that has been on my List of Things to Blog About for over a week now, so coming soon: Vocab Lessons by Pen. It will be a treat.

5. Even though I'm socially retarded and parties and hosting make me super-anxious, I love throwing them (parties), anyway. I've already started decorating for K.Lo's birthday bashes later this week, and it's totally off the hook. Out of control. It's like we're living day to day in a kid's birthday party, and I love it. It is a madness I embrace. Everyone's birthday, regardless of age, should be a week-long celebration.

Back to hosting, though--I love the prep, I love planning and list-making. I love shopping for all the food and putting it out in bowls and on little plates. And I love seeing people have a good time, it's like I'm giving a gift on a mass scale. The downside and nervousness creeps in, though, because as always it's a risk: they may not like it. And then it's like you're a Party Pariah. But it's worth it all, I think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Webster's Dictionary has pronunciations you can hear on their web site. (www.webster.com) I love it. Unfortunately, I don't usually think of it until after a did-I-say-that-right? moment.

I get their word of the day email too, as sometimes the history of a word is random and funny. Or the word is random and funny.

mendacious said...

wow, that scissor thing is a priceless revelation!

i must witness this for my self.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could be there. I am far away--but i am NOT "comatose".

Party like a kid.

e

penelope said...

ooo, e. you'll have to take that up with mendacious. she's in charge of The Lists. (i'm not enough of a knife-wielder on that front.)

xo,
pen

Cue said...

See, I'm always way more annoyed by people who correct other people's pronunciations than people who give a word a go and fall short. I tend to land on the defensive in that case, myself: "I MEANT to say it that way!" So, you know -- own it. :)

Then again, about fifty percent of the people I know do not pronounce my name correctly. But I rarely speak up and correct them, because I feel bad. Sort of like how I never manage to correct people who confuse me with my grad school roommate because I feel so awkward for them.

Maybe I'll add that to my five random things.

Flawed And Disorderly said...

I totally didn't expect the burst of laughter that came out when I read #3. So unexpected.