Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Lend Me Your Ear

So I had an exciting morning. Last night a friend was coming over so there was no time for gas getting, which anyway i vowed to do in the morning. As all rational people do. My car has a 60 mile safety reserve past E. This has been tested and proved true- but with the a/c running i get maybe 30 miles less before the Empty/Reserve Light hits. I'd been driving around on empty at this point for about 41 miles. I'd already pushed it to that nervous spread of the mouth point, to the tucking of the lips in, panic point. Luckily a gas station is a block away. I pull in and it refuses to take my ATM card- twice. I think oh god. Did I overwithdrawl, which sets in a whole nother round of panic. And then i think, that's why you don't cut up credit cards. Now, you can't even make it to Pasadena to do yoga. You won't even be able to make it home! But then as I drive away, well, that's why i chose a life on the edge. (We'll see how long it lasts). No usury. To live a life debt free even if it takes me 40 years. (of course I didn't cancel them, I'm NOT craZy) I shut off my a/c and roll down the windows. I ride on the freeway in the right lane just in case the car quits on me- with a EEEENNNNGGGG GAME OVER- buzzer flashing it's warning in my mind. I make it to the bank and now if I can just get to the ARCO station where gas is $3.21. Harrowingly I hit red light after red light, knowing each braking moment will sap more of my gas vapors, i brake gently, i accelorate, with a fine and delicate finesse of someone who has not a care in the world- And then as I take the last dip under an underpass I hit another red. I think it will be impossible to A. push my car up B. There is nowhere to pull over. Thankfully I pull up out of the dip and safely into the Arco gas station- where my $20 gets me less than half a tank. I rejoice. I think about corn for fuel, about the crappy cereal I have to eat because I now only have $8.21 in my account.I think payday is tomorrow and that makes me happy- for both cash and direct deposit. I look at the mileage read out- 49.8. I set it to zero. I get a sweet parking spot and I see a co-worker, who manages to say- you got a good parking spot. I mumble something about my tumultuous morning to which he replies not a word. I walk thru the parking lot with the sun beating down on me, just waiting to sit down so I can tell someone my story- to wipe the bitter taste of debt, indifference, and cornflakes from my mouth...

6 comments:

penelope said...

Harrowing, indeed! Did you get to tell the story to anyone?

Also, I enjoyed the red font effects.

mendacious said...

no i totally didn't. i sit here still in silence waiting for people to be conversational. although just now i did get one of the PA's to talk with me about Ross. Which was pretty amazing- bcs not only did he compliment me on the color of my top but then we talked about how his girlfriend loves to shop there, but then the people are crazy etc. it was a startling amount of information- sure it took like a month of running consistently into him in the breakroom- but we've reached a whole new level.

Karima said...

The bitter taste of cornflakes....reconsider that part.

mendacious said...

I can't. I just don't find cereal fulfilling. Pen and I fight about this constantly but I won't relent.

Kurt said...

90% of all corn grown in the US is genetically engineered. Eat at your own risk.

penelope said...

cereal ROCKS.

as does ross.

and, isn't everything genetically engineered at this point? and we're living longer than ever.