Monday, July 10, 2006

Ah Activity

Man, I am on the Mellow Train right now. Okay I’m not high- read Momentary Lapse for that one- I”m just beat.

Last night i went to get some cultcha down at the Hollywood Bowl. I have a connection- so i got the comp hook up which is always sweet, to go see Opera. Puccinni’s Tosca. I am so counterculture i can barely stand it. My friend kerry decided to take a hit for me after another friend fell ill- i’m sure for a perfectly legitimate and real sickness. We stopped at Trader Joes for the trademark brie and crackers with strawberries. She opted for hummus and pita chips - followed with chocolate covered pretzels and $2 wine. i make no judgements. Although our culinary tastes became volatile in my stomach sometime later as i just had to have like 2 bites more from the bag-o-death (pretzels)... the girls behind us had some potent olive topenande and grapes which we also sampled. I think i earned every indulgence since my friend made me hike up the hill- a Mile +walk. at a good pace. I got a blister and we missed the explanation for the first act, my chinese salad compacted slantwase in my bag, leaking- and when i sat down my bubbly water exploded all over me and on the 3 chinese tourists in front of me. luckily they didn’t notice, except one who gave a quick glance over her shoulder as if she’d narrowly escaped disaster and back again. it’s true she did. my shirt took the hit as it was now completely soaked in “mixed berry”. it never did recover so when the evening marine layer rolled in over the hill it did little but torture my state. i tucked my arms in my top like a sad poor girl without a jacket.

i said hey to my hook up, met his niece (was jealous that i wasn't his niece), gossiped about the opera- found out everyone dies in the end- and proceeded to have a running conversation about the attractive hero and his doomed Tosca(with their rich delicious voices)- making up conversations about the dialogue, since as it was, there were no direct translations at hand. We applauded when appropriate, knew when to be impressed by their vocal largesse- and instead of yelling brava’, bravo! at the end we whooped and hollared just like when we see non-opera things we really like. Ow, you rock! Oww! (Whistle, Whistle)... Applaud, applaud, applaud.

We waited till the majority of the people fled down the mountain, watching the progress of the full moon rising, then skirted thru the parking lot, down down the hill- as we thought we were less likely to suffocate btw cars then a herd of people with picnic baskets.

Twas a perfect evening.

5 comments:

SW said...

Ohh...I'm so jealous. Tosca! At the bowl!!! How perfect. But the bowl knows how to do it right, so I should not be so surprised. Funny, I just blogged about the bowl...

drewdot said...

You weren't one of those people who were yelling, "We love you Maurceri!" If you were, that was awesome. We almost screamed that we wanted to have his baby.

mendacious said...

I almost did. but then i feel like my friend would've then known too much about me.

Karima said...

Yelling out "Freebird", I have discovered, is also the wrong thing to yell out at the opera. And in case it ever comes up....also at the ballet.

Somebody's Mom said...

How many wine bottles rolled down the steps?

-inquiring minds want to know-