Wednesday, July 19, 2006

i crack myself up

I was organizing my computer files the other day (much needed), and I ran across some things that made me laugh. Here's one of them. The bitch of it is that I can't even remember if I gave the guy this critique letter for his essay. I think I did. I kind of hope I did.

Anyway... sorry, Bryan. Like it even matters now.

Ha!

*****

Dear Bryan,

My critique is as follows:

Your own critique of my piece, which contained barely a positive word or even the objective observation that my aesthetic was simply not your cup of tea, made me feel like one of those kids on American Idol who, hard as they try, just can’t sing a note. Our objective, of course, is to help each other make our projects the best they can be; an irritable review remains an irritable review and, particularly in a workshop setting, will more likely be hurtful, not helpful. I’m sorry, but I didn’t feel critiquing your piece with the effort and sincerity I usually put forth to be worth my time.

Thanks,

penelope

6 comments:

mendacious said...

you're such a bad ass.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, that just made my day!

Karima said...

bryan told me my pants made my ass look fat. i hate him. send the letter.

Kim said...

Oh, please tell me you did? And please tell me it was one of the classes where we had to show our critiques to Sarah, too? Although, remember the time Bryan saved us from preplanning our preplan for planning to interview Mark Doty? That was pretty noble of him...

Anonymous said...

Is there any possible way this was in response to his essay about his eating disorder?

penelope said...

It WAS in Sarah's class, but to be honest, I have no idea what essay it was. I think if I gave him the letter, he was apologetic. And he did save us from preplanning our preplan for planning to interview Mark Doty. Or actually, Paul Lisicky. His (Bryan's) speech that day was fantastic.