Sunday, March 12, 2006

vISIT nIXON

 
Hallo- Here I am in the hall, post tour- you see I am jubilant and patriotic. Something I don't embrace nearly enough. I had an excellent time, and while generally non-commital in my opinion of Nixon, I now like him- whether this is symptomatic of being on the fringes of Orange County or brain-washed by the museum-- I don't know. I think I always have though, but now I have a reason.
 
And how cute is this house! That's his actual birthhouse. Some business guys had the foresight to buy the 8 acres back in '67... nuts. I commented that this would be a perfect place to live but that got the tour guide talking about the horrors of having to share a room with her sister- so i opted to say that maybe some additional square footage wouldn't be so bad after all. But it really is just the most awesome house ever.  
Bad ass photo yah. In front of a huge chunk of the Berlin Wall. I had to stop myself at wondering what a random piece of modern art was doing there but then I realized that this was something of actual historical significance and then I had to remember, well, what exactly. And then I was like oh, yah- communism was real and not just what I accuse my friends of being when they start talking about how we should abolish privitazation. It was exhausting- the reality of all this "history". And to think Alger Hiss wasn't just a "communist"... he was involved in actual evaal espinoge. And who hides microfiche? in a pumpkin I ask you? My mom would be horrified!
  
This is a picture of Nixon reciting his famous "silent majority" speech. Also, I got to hear the actual tapes- from Watergate! Ooo. And uh, let down. I can't believe he got impeached for that. Did you know that Nixon has been on the covers of "Time" more than anyone else in its history? What's up with that? (54.) And my head is filled with other random facts about the Lincoln Bedroom, Charles DeGaul (whoever he was), the nixon/kennedy debates, horses and their relationship to the white house- as well as uh...stuff. you know. the end of the vietnam war. relations to china. space travel. and uh... other stuff.
Oh hey, here's the extended family. The guy in the back is my 2nd cousin 2x removed, his wife (not related) and his daughter. Oh and my mom is on the right... So Diane (on the left) actually has hair as crazy as my moms)- and other stricking resemblences besides perhaps the mouths and the squinting was that, Diane brought us a bag of oranges from her yard and mom brought them oranges from our yard. Freaky huh?

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I see the resemblance.

Somebody's Mom said...

Truly amazing.

What was that you said daughter.... microfich in a pumpkin! I was so busy chatting with the new found "my dad's people" that I didn't read very much. scrape me up off the floor.