Thursday, March 23, 2006

THE LA RIVER

So I did something new yesterday. I actually walked along a portion of the LA RIVER that I always pass on the freeway. Granted, it's a bit loud but it was worth it. I spotted ducks and a flock of plovers and uh, lots of trash- which was attached to all the reeds like ornaments from our recent rains. The LA River for me has always been a sad and forlorn reminder of our messed up relationship to nature. I mean we made it concrete, turned it into a storm drain and ignored it. So not cool man. Although that scene in Grease, and all the grafetti art- that's pretty hot. But still. So i get points for exploring- next time it's rollerblades or a bike. Bcs it's hard to ignore the fact that you're actually walking next to the 5 freeway. But apparently it's a very long river so I could technically make it to Long Beach and right across the freeway is the LA Zoo and 4,000 acres of parkland- we've got one of the largest park systems in the country. Ah, Griffith J. Griffith. Good times! Plus we have an equistrian center, and Travel Town! Which has always been an awesome collection of trains. My exuberance is exhausting me and i'm still infected from some nasty bacteria. So i better go convalesce and watch Tv and then maybe water some pots. High times i tell you. High Times! (Not in that way) So if you're ever here- visit the river. It's not just concrete and maybe it'll keep getting better and better- and there will be more ducks and plover and less trash and more trails... here's to hope. (next time i'll take some pics!)

10 comments:

penelope said...

I'll meet you there--in my van. ;)

mendacious said...

hell yah!

Kurt said...

You're lucky to be alive.

SW said...

When the weather gets warmer, you should come over and we'll do the bike route. From my house to the equestrian center, and then down to the bike path which takes you down to Los Feliz Blvd, which takes you through the park to the zoo and back...its a very cool path to ride.

mendacious said...

it's not like it's the arctic winter now. i'm jus' sayin'. i mean have you seeeeen my tan?

Kurt said...

Camera6 sees some rusty scrap metal that it's best to avoid.

Pirate said...

Do you suppose the cavemen complained about the youngsters drawing pictures on the cave walls?

I invite you to come to my blog and read "Hang up". Its a different look at a river.

mendacious said...

some of the graffeti is spectacular. but most just ruins the artwork. will have to document some of my favs... i was thinking that the HangUp might involve a deadbody or maybe a shanty town but then that's more what we'd find in LA- certainly not hippies. Although I do enjoy... well, nevermind... I guess I have more stories to write about LA, all in good time. if i can think of a proper one that'll be my blog story for today.

Pirate said...

your river played a big part in one of my favorite movies,Chinatown.

Alan Smithee said...

Don't forget Grease and Terminator 2.