Friday, December 31, 2010

for auld lang m, my dear,

Hap- hap- happy 2011! Granted it’s not here yet, and oh you have to endure it 3 hours longer than I do, but the time is near! Cue the noisemakers and hats.

Today we were released from our home not unlike the kraken. I mean honestly it’s been forever since we’ve escaped. J.Lo did indeed acquire what appears to be a functional vehicle and names are currently under negotiation. We had big plans for today, but I’m sad to say that 2010 is getting in its last hurrahs by giving me yet another cold and breaking my camera for good. First the zoom went, months ago, and now it just won’t focus. Like at all. Under any setting. So there are no pictures from our adventuring, at all, which I know you are at least as sad about as I am.

I did however find a refurbished camera on ebay for under $100. Score. It’s on its way.

Anyway – back to today. We did the Science Center, which is located in the old tobacco district and also utilizes the former Amtrak station. There are taxidermied yaks in there. Among other awesome displays. They even had my ever-favorite cockroaches (not taxidermied but live) and though they absolutely give me the shivers, I feel like somehow the place became legit in that moment, standing before them. There’s a caboose outside, a butterfly garden open in the spring and also lots of neato things in the main building to teach and amuse le children.

Lunch was done on Main Street and was super delish (and cheap). We’ll be going there, you and me. I had “Mexican Chicken” and J.Lo had a chicken cordon bleu sandwich that made Chik-Fil-A’s grilled chicken fare look like dirt. And you know I love CFA. The children had sandwiches with the crusts specially severed and surprise cups of M&Ms provided by the cooks. Which was totally sweet.

Next we were supposed to go the library for the first time, but dammit it was closed. I mean, I’m going through severe deprivation without library access. I’ve actually purchased two books in the past two weeks, and I still feel a tiny bit gross about it. I know. Get over it. Anyway, we’ll gobacksoon. Like Monday maybe. Instead we went to J.Lo’s office where the kids drew all over the white board and I played with a chain of very powerful magnets and J.Lo finished up some work he missed yesterday when purchasing le car. Which of course was a fiasco, but that’s a story we’ll tuck away into the very thick 2010 Shenanigans File. 

We checked out the big park downtown. A bit muddy today, but otherwise rather awesome and sort of sadly uncrowded? Like where were all the children, it was lovely outside. And as K.Lo noted, “It has a FISH BRIDGE!” which is just like one of our parks in ILM. Lots of points for the fish bridge.

On to SamsClub, which is just not Costco and never will be. But it will suffice. Because now our fridge is filled with beautiful proteins and produce and I nearly wept at the giant tub of queso in the refrigerated aisle. Viva la queso! Wee!

Grilled Fillit MigNon for dins and a tasty salad never tasted so damn good. I almost feel gross about my burning love for the price club but whatever. IT’S AWESOME.There should be no shame in loving the price club.

Less than 3 hours left. Squee. Hopefully we’ll make it through the last of this year unscathed and avoid any hosting efforts by Dick Clark, who really should at this point be allowed to stay home on NYE. Poor Dick Clark. The couch is nice, buddy. I plan to enjoy it myself with the help of some red wine and what what? That’s right – a game of Office Clue.

xoxox and cheers to the new year!

pen

No comments: