Monday, March 29, 2010

mbackhomeagain,

Our flowers are looking fairly lovely; here they are (see enclosed photos) after this morning’s rain. Somehow the flat of snapdragons included one of every color: white, yellow, magenta, orange, pink, red, and some others that will be a surprise when they open. And creeping phlox is just plain rad. I want to do the whole yard in creeping phlox, instead of a lawn, but I can’t get J.Lo to agree. Also, the garden is planted with eggplant, green beans, squash medley, spinach, green onions cherry and roma tomatoes and cucumbers. And the side yard now houses another long planter with accompanying trellis, which will grow jasmine and lantana, all purchased at the arboretum, where K.Lo frolicked amongst the giant mushrooms, et al. (And where I also managed to sidesweep K.Lo with our red wagon, at which the crowd gasped. Sigh.)  It was a highly awesome accomplishment on Saturday by J.Lo, and I’m sad to say I didn’t help at all. I was inside on my face, sleeping.

I think I’ve recounted to you all the ways in which I loathe being a girl sometimes, but lately there are one or two days that sap me completely, make me so tired I could puke. How is that fair, really. Granted, I am finally also crashing from an eventful month. And yes, I did meet said deadline! At least one of them, anyway, the one for which you’ll have to cross your fingers and/or pray. And the other one is on Wednesday and will be just fine.

Somehow I have plans already for every single Sunday in April, and I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. The real question is, do I squeeze in a yard sale on a random and hopefully sunny Saturday, too? Or do I feel tired just thinking about that.

I did listen to a second audiobook on the way home last Sunday, the one about the week in the woods, because it was narrated by Peter from Office Space and how could I resist. It was good, although I missed the British accent of the other gem we heard, as well as phrases such as “hot, single tear” and “poppycock.” And let’s not forget the winning similes:

“…taste fear, cold and metallic in my mouth.”

“…like an ingénue in a bad play.”

Or, my favorite horrible paradox:

“…cool, tepid water.”

 

Last week was also Ben Folds playing with the NC Symphony: a simply fantastic birthday present, all in all. Including the preceding meal (Spicy Chang’s Chicken) and dessert (banana spring roll w/ coconut ice cream, caramel, and fresh fruit! hot/cold, sweet/salt!). Although your presence was rather magical, too. And the birthday signage, the daffodils, the Napoleon Dynamite card and the clementine jack-o-lantern, complete with representative toothpick candle. I carry these details in my heart.

xo,

pen

 

P1050340

 P1050341 P1050342P1050370 P1050343

P1050223 P1050225

P1050338P1050339 

P1050324 P1050329 P1050334

3 comments:

mendacious said...

awesomeness on all fronts. except for that girlpartssuckingthelifeoutofyou thing. thats poppycock. i'll tell you what.

i'm only feeling the yard sale if its a beautiful day and nearby.

i just bought an ipod battery off ebay. i'm feeling very renegade and reckless right now. and like i could pass out and go to sleep. apparently more taxing than i thought. but no, week 4, day 2 of meditation on sin. 5 more days to go. weeeeee. a most lovely person at church said she was praying for me this week because she said she felt i was weary. and she doesn't even read the blog or my mind. :) god rocks.

mendacious said...

ah and what? sideswipped the klo?! ha.

i mean, uh... well. obviously not preferred. obviously.

Andria said...

lovely pictures - love the trellis and the cool stones with grass - I don't remember this "side" yard you speak of.