Thursday, June 26, 2008

*star* talk

It seems like the use of *asterisks* in writing is all of a sudden popular. I don't know where it comes from or how exactly it caught so that now *everyone* is doing it, but I confess I kind of love it. Is it the written version of the *air quote,* like when you put up your hands and quote a *catch phrase* and/or convey a sense of *irony?* Maybe it is like saying *ahem* on the page. There is an air of *sarcasm* in there, but not in a mean way, it seems more to connote *wit* or, if one is referring to oneself, an added air of *self-deprecation.*

I enjoy new trends in written communication.

And because I am an even bigger nerd, I admit that a small point of style issue with the *asterisks* is keeping me up at night. Do they function like quotation marks in America, or like the colon and semi-colon. Meaning, when using asterisks in conjunction with other punctuation, does that other punctuation fall inside or outside of the asterisks? Because asterisks function so similar to quotation marks, just with a slightly different connotation, I have decided to treat them similarly. Periods, question marks, and exclamation points will fall inside the last asterisk at the end of a sentence, while colons and semi-colons will be placed outside the last asterisk, like so:

1. Today, penelope blogged about punctuation trends, which are clearly *monumental.*
2. Tomorrow at Target, I wish to purchase the following *essentials*: cookies, Strawberry Shortcake band-aids, and perhaps another t-shirt.

Obviously, the rule would be just the opposite in Britain. I may be entirely incorrect, but because the *asterisk* trend is so new and maybe even just a passing phase, we could be waiting a while or even forever on an official grammatical ruling. So, you heard it here first: asterisks=quotation marks when it comes to points of style. I know you're all grateful for my *humanitarian efforts.*

10 comments:

Andria said...

I admit that I *might* be guilty of using the asterisks a little heavily (and who knew it wasn't "asteriCk?" Apparently you, Pen. or perhaps spellcheck? That's how I say it, so that's how I wanted to spell it, but I digress.) And I agree with your assessment that they should be treated similarly to quotations. However, sometimes, I only use one [gasp!] mostly when I write. *sigh. I don't know why I add the *, but I usually do! that is odd. thanks for calling me out on it. hmm.

penelope said...

you know, it hadn't even occurred to me that you do use them a bunch! maybe YOU started this whole asterisk (i also say "asterick") revolution? but seriously i swear they are now everywhere. it's *star power* for sure.

mendacious said...

to me they function as more a matter of hand gestures- than quotes. like *sigh* and *ahem*... you're bringing a physicality to the word that quotes don't "otherwise".... *bring*

Andria said...

I also sometimes use them instead of italics - because in stupid html it's *so hard* to write out all the < / symbols - it's not a simple highlight and click a button, so the * is much faster in getting my point across. Like, underlining. .how do you do that in html? Even in the compose mode, you don't have a button option for that. Is it because of links being underlined?

penelope said...

well said, m.

i try not to mess with html, but i do know that in compose mode, you can do ctrl i, b, and u for italics, bold, and underline. does that make sense/is that what you mean?

~sarah said...

before all the fancy microsoft word-like editors for e-mail and blogs, asterisks were used to show bolded/underlined or otherwise specially emphasized words. maybe that's their origin?

penelope said...

Huh! I bet that's it!

Anonymous said...

I am distressed, by this new use of "*". Now how will I guide a reader to view the item at the bottom of the page that didn't quite seem appropriate to include in the text? Of course, I could use a footnote, but that seems a tad formal when a single "*" would have worked. *&%@!# Is the love of the trend connected to bleeping?

Anonymous said...

Hey Penelope, please ask M: "Where are our weird Wednesday facts?"

penelope said...

I'm sayin! My week no longer feels complete without the WFW.