Thursday, December 20, 2007

pen's pseudo-shame

I'm a girl, I'm fickle. Subject to whims. And the other day on the way to the grocery store, one such whim overtook me, a whim laced with dread, curiosity, and a touch of hope. Partly the whim stemmed from my lifelong quest to Always Find the Best Deal, to Slay the Dragon of Commerce. Put a sword through his blackened little heart. And partly, that post from the other day was blinking in my brain and suddenly I decided to go to the Wal-Mart.

I haven't shopped, really shopped, at Wal-Mart in years. I have been occasionally to Wal-Mart, mostly with the company of more seasoned and brave and loyal Wal-Mart shoppers who are convinced it is the best store in the world. I, it is well-known, am a Target girl. I used to go to the Wal-Mart, a long time ago, used to love it. I used to go with friends on a Friday night wearing pajama pants and shop for chocolate and crafts. Yeah, I was one of Those Girls. Then Wal-Mart started seeming very ugly to me. The lights, the sheer volume, the people. I became a total Wal-Mart snob. The nails in the coffins were as such: reports of violent crime in the parking lot. A 600-lb, wheelchair-bound man using food stamps to buy ice cream. Waves of screaming children crashing through the aisles at 10PM on a Friday night. The air. The lights. The rising feeling of panic every time I stepped in the store. The inability to breathe properly. Perusing the aisles, realizing on multiple occasions that what I needed to finish up my shopping list was Back There, on the other side of the store, in an aisle I had already been to twice.

Wal-Mart. I know they have deals there, that in particular it is the best place to buy canned goods, and baking goods. Bread goods. Probably all the goods. But I had decided long ago that the emotional cost of shopping there far outweighed the financial rewards.

As I say, though: whims. Suddenly I am navigating the parking lot, trying to find a spot within half a mile of the store entrance, preferably close to a shopping cart dropoff. I find a spot. Load up the kids in the cart and go. I stick to the Grocery Side, block out the RestOfIt. Pick out some produce, make our way over to the meats. Decide to tackle the aisles all in order, because I don't yet know where anything is. Only get lost a few times. Only Have Words with K.Lo a few times. She says the word "bike" a million times, in a little voice like it is a question, and I respond as such: Yup, it's a bike. Say Hi, bikes. Look at the bikes. No, no bikes. We're not going to look at the bikes. We can ride by the bikes. Hi, bikes. Tires and streamers on the bike. Bye, bike. Another day, bike. No, we are not going back to the bikes. We cannot look at the bikes. Sit down, we are not looking at the bikes anymore, bye, bikes. Here, eat some Oreos at 10 in the morning and stop talking about bikes.

Why, in the fucking Dairy Aisle, are there bikes.

An older man, possibly nice, possibly a freak, suggests that K.Lo is weird, can't say any words other than "bike." They talk about it. She gives him A Look. We move on. They don't sell large containers of Scotch Guard as I expected them to; Wal-Mart is falling short. Salsa, though, is uber-cheap. As is sweetened condensed milk, all the cereal, yogurt, and margarine by the tub. Pasta Roni is priced regularly like it is on sale at The Other Grocery Store. The kids are being only marginally whiny, and we're doing this, making our way through. We are still alive and only a tiny bit panicky here in the Wal-Mart. Some fellow shoppers are even friendly, smiley, say hi to my babies. Some are surly, with a level of hostility you just don't find at Target. At least not on a weekday. If you're lucky. Some things are priced the same as all the other stores, not so impressive. The cart fills. We'll get this and this and this and this, too, so we won't have to go Anywhere Else for the next week or two. Since they have it here. Since they seem to have everything (except bulk containers of Scotch Guard) here at the Wal-Mart.

We check out. The cashier is sort of friendly, sort of not. The cashier/bagger on the next aisle is ranting like a Brickyard Preacher, totally for show, except he's complaining about Whatever, not preaching, and I try to ignore him, try to breathe regularly. Kind of hate Wal-Mart. Kind of am impressed by Wal-Mart. Wish the carts were bigger at Wal-Mart. Wish the carts were bigger everywhere, not just at Wal-Mart. But $89 would not have bought me this much at any other store.

We live. We went to Wal-Mart.

I give it 3 stars, out of 5. I might go again. Yeah, I would probably shop there again. But would I tell you, would I brag about it, would I say I am a Wal-Mart shopper. No. No, I couldn't. It seems like that would be going too far.

7 comments:

mendacious said...

um, oh god. is this why i'm sitting here at work, bored, waiting for an email... it just brings up all those uncomfortable memories of my extreme dislike for both target and walmart and how even now i can feel both huge fluorescent expanses coming to get me with their clatter of stars and targets and blue and red carts... and the oh so shiny linoleum.

target maybe, but walmart i can't even begin. where does one.

Anonymous said...

There's no nearby Wal-Mart, so I am now a Target girl. Though I still only brave it when I need toiletries, because they're way more reasonably priced at both Target and Wal-Mart.

But the florescent, the chaos, the people...it has to be a short trip. :)

Kim said...

Ben, I think, is allergic to Wal-Mart? So we never, ever go...

Although I might add that the really talkative optometrist was a Wal-Mart optometrist. (Ben doesn't need to come for eye exams, which is why the trip is permitted.)

Anonymous said...

Calls to mind my visit to the local Wal-mart that is in the heart of the Panorama City barrio. People who know talk about the gang bangers and the hand signs. Me I'm clueless. First the parking lot was stripped some fifty years ago and has tiny spaces. So you feel crowded before you even get in the store. I am being assisted in my keyboarding by THE CAT. She may have taken lessons from K-Lo. I'll have more to type another time.

ashley said...

I feel that some cosmic breech has occurred now that you've been to Wally World. I mean, an opponent as staunch as you...I'm glad it didn't give you hives, though.

~sarah said...

my step-dad refers to wal-mart as "the bad place." my mom is only allowed to shop there when the deals are too good to pass up. otherwise, she has to go to k-mart or drive an hour into the next town to go to target. he says wal-mart is what's wrong with america.

i used to go to the bad place in college a lot b/c it was cheap. now there isn't one near enough to me in l.a. to go. so target it is. but target is getting too expensive and the one near my place is populated by fabulous gay men so i always feel sort of judged every time i go in - like my hair and clothes have to be just right or i will get the dreaded look of disapproval that ripples through the store until everyone knows i wore that. plus, they are always out of that one thing that i really needed, the thing that prompted the whole trip...

i'm starting to like the idea of online shopping for toiletries. drugstore.com has most of what i need and, if you factor in gas, costs about the same. and they definately don't have bikes in any inappropriate places. : )

Anonymous said...

The cat has been banished, or maybe it is on break with it's other hardworking kin. (narry a rodent in the house for years).
Anyway, I ventured to the barrio on the eve of Christmas Eve, I snuck out of the house at about ten. It was like a carnival, people coming and going, cars circuling the parking lot, so many kids (why aren't they in bed!). And people wearing jammies and carts full of stuff and oh my, I bought so many fun things. Then I forgot the one thing I went there for, a gift certificate, so I went to customer service with my full cart of purchased must-haves and waited a bit. My phone rings, my progeny who was awakened by the dogs' barking, wonders where I am. It's near midnight now. So much for my visit being a secret.