Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy Eve!

Do you all believe that adage about ringing in the New Year, and how it's somehow reflective or prophetic of the year to come? Last year at this time, I was mondo pregnant, therefore not able to catch a decent buzz, and also Very Tired overall, and so naturally we stayed home and did not a whole lot. A quiet evening brought a relatively quiet year. I mean, I had a baby and all, but compared to years prior? Not much dramatic happened, good or bad, and for that I breathe a huge sigh of relief. We didn't buy anything enormous like a house, I only quit one job, J.Lo stayed in his job and remained happy with it. Only one traffic infraction, everyone remained alive and, for the most part, well. It was a quiet and good year overall, just like our NYE.

My friend J says she brought in 2006 away from home and drunker than she's ever been, and paid dearly for it. I'm not exactly sure what that meant for her year, but it was a rather crazy-busy-erratic one, filled with adventures both fun and regrettable. A few years ago, I rang in the New Year having drunk every kind of alcohol available: red wine, white wine, champagne, liquor shots, beer, and a mixed drink--I think I had one of each?--and somehow managed to avoid too bad of a hangover. What did that mean, that I would have a year where I would fly under the radar of idiocy's consequences? Hmmm. I have to think about that.

This year, we'll be ringing in the New Year quietly once more, this time marathoning with all four Harry Potter movies. J.Lo's even giving up Sunday football for it; it's a big day. There will be one bottle of champagne to share, chicken parm to eat, and a K.Lo to squeeze. So what does this mean? Perhaps that 2007 will be quiet and yet magical, filled with family and low-key good vibes? Cheers to that. I can only hope.

1 comment:

Andria said...

amen, sista' friend.