Thursday, December 6, 2007

7&7

I've been tagged! So, 7 things about me that you might not already know are...

1. I've always had pretty neat handwriting, unless I'm in a hurry. But I didn't start adding little flourishes to letters until I worked at the Day Spa. And really, I don't even know what came over me to start with the flourishes. Although I was hired for my neat handwriting (as opposed to my charming demeanor), I think I felt some level of inferiority in the handwriting department whenever I looked at the other receptionists' handwriting. All their handwriting was so cute and bubbly, just like them, and I had to do something to up my Cute and Bubbly Factor. Or maybe it was just my attempt at Day Spa Flair.

2. I own an absurd amount of holiday decor. People have given me holiday stuff for Christmas and birthdays my whole life, and it's accumulated. It's the reason people don't like to help me move. BUT, to my credit, I have pared down over the past few years and eliminated superfluous packaging, so I don't feel like such a Holiday Hoarder. As for the collection itself, though, I must admit I love every bit of it.

3. My thumb is neither green, nor black. Or maybe it starts out green and turns sadly black. Because it seems like whenever I grow anything, the garden included, it starts out fabulous and eventually, inevitably, dies a most horrible death. Sometimes the death has nothing to do with neglect, and sometimes it really has everything to do with neglect.

4. For a semester or two in college, I thought I might be a high school English teacher. I ended up dropping out of the course halfway through the semester, past the very last drop/add date, and had to get the dean's permission. The only way I got the dean's permision was by procuring a very shady medical excuse from the student health center, and the only way I did that was by crying like a big baby. But really, the class did burn a hole in my stomach, one that's still there to this day. Embarassing, though, the whole incident.

5. In sixth grade, I tried (with a friend) looking up Joe McIntyre's phone number in the Boston area phone book at the library and then attempted to call. On a pay phone. It didn't work, but at the time, I really thought it might, and my heart raced as I thought about what I might say.

6. People say you can't pick off a wart and if you try, it will grow back. But that's not true. I had one on my thumb a really long time ago, and it took two tries, but on the second try (after it grew back the first time), I got rid of the thing for good. You really have to dig. Also, you have to be young and stupid enough to keep digging after blood's running down your arm--and smart enough to hide it from your mom.

7. When I was a freshman in high school, a group of senior boys went to the band director's house one night and put epoxy glue in his car locks. At the time, I thought it was terribly funny, because the boys were cute, the word "epoxy" had a certain level of mystery and cool to it, and the band director was kind of goofy and sometimes quite a tool. But now I kind of get that putting epoxy in someone's car locks is a really mean thing to do... and yet, still it still kind of makes me laugh.

*****
The Rules:
1. Link to the person’s blog who tagged you.
2. Post these rules on your blog.
3. List seven random and/or weird facts about yourself.
4. Tag seven people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog.

So, I tag: Ash, Kim, Andi, Erin, HAT, growler, and just to be a total pain in the ass, since you've already been tagged by Daisy and really need to blogmore, Tom. :)

6 comments:

mendacious said...

OMG- most awesome list ever! I feel completely daunted to live up to yours and daisys... what to do what to do.

-i miss your dayspa stories
-i thought the hardest part of helping you move besides the level of soot on everything was all the dishes, or at least i remember packing all that, and unpacking all that...
-i totally did the wart thing. i agree.

Megs said...

Ahahahha! So I wasn't the only person who tried to call Joe McIntyre. I might also admit to having gotten his "address" from some fanmag and writing to it every single day for an entire year.

Or I might not admit that. You never know.

In any case, thank you for not leaving me all alone in the NKOTB department. I loved your list.

hat said...

I desperately want to know what your Day Spa handwriting looks like!

ashley said...

Pen, I forgot that you, too, worked at The Day Spa for the woman who looked liked canned meat. :)

Also, please note that I fulfilled my tag. And rereading the post, it sounds surly. But it's unintentional surliness. I blame having to drive to Atlanta for work yesterday.

Kim said...

I admit, the Day Spa TOTALLY changed my handwriting! But for the better. So at least I got that out of it.

I promise to post my responses on Sunday night-- I'm headed out of town for the weekend, which gives me a lot of time alone in the car to ponder which of my weirdnesses are the best for blog consumption!

Ew, consumption.

erin j said...

okay... so i'm a couple days behind... i'll blog tonight...
not sure i know 7 people who blog though...hmmmm... we'll see....