Friday, December 1, 2006

goodbye, i'll miss you...

So last night on Survivor, Candice got the axe. I don't know why I even particularly like Candice, or why I think her and Adam together are cute, but I do. I felt sorry for her every time she was sent to Exile by the scorned Aitu, and by the fourth time, when Becky sent her in the middle of the auction, I felt I would have done exactly what Candice did: cry like a little girl. Anyway, though part of me hoped there was some possible way for the Parvati-Adam-Candice alliance to avoid being eaten up by the now-triumphant Aitu's, I think we all knew there was no avoiding it. That whole "Jonathan is Obnoxious" campaign, while valiant and possibly of consequence, seemed to be showcased merely for editing's sake. They have to make it look like someone else besides the poor sap on the chopping block actually has a chance of going home. Dramatic tension and all. Which is fine... But what about Yul revealing at the auction that he has the hidden immunity idol? I like Yul, I think he's a fine guy, a good person, likable, hard-worker, etc. And he's got strategy and game, no doubt. But I'd rather have seen him hold his cards tighter to his chest on this one. Though I enjoyed seeing the look on Parvati's face when Yul basically confirmed all Jonathan was telling her earlier--Yul has the immunity idol, and the vote for him last tribal council would have fallen back on me--I think it was kind of unwise. Yul has shown himself to be calling the shots with the Aitu's for some time now, and maybe the other 3 (plus Jonathan) have it in the back of their mind that when it gets down to the finals, Yul's gotta go, and quick, hidden immunity idol or no. Like, vote for him already and knock him down a few pegs. Make him play that powerful hand before it becomes the Yul parade, where everyone's sole purpose will be to just usher the guy into the top 2, and without a doubt, the mil. Why else bother going on Survivor, if you're not going to try like hell to get the cash. Although, maybe the other Aitu's are smarter than the editing crew is letting on, just yet. I hope so, not just for the players' sakes, but for the rest of the season's sake. It's soooo boring when there are no coups.

By the way, now that we know more about her, how weird is it that Parvati in real life is a boxer?

In other reality tv news, the other twin, Amanda, was sent home from Spain this week, and I am sad. I loved the twins. I wanted the twins to win. I wanted there to be an ANTM first where they picked two winners, and the twins would be them. I think they were a little too young, Amanda in particular a little too tentative. But I looooved their photos. I also just loved watching the whole twin dynamic play out. Now we're left with Melrose, whom I still kind of love, but who is starting to look slightly crack-addicted in her megawatt enthusiasm. Eugena's personality is coming out more, and as a character she's more likable now instead of just *blah*, but looking back at her portfolio, not so much impressed. And Caridee, I can forgive your mortifying faux pas with Nigel, the whole stick up his ass comment, because we all make mistakes, and yours being on national TV had to especially smart, but... eh. I can't get a handle on Caridee. And without the twins, I'm frankly just not that invested anymore in the winner. Whoever wins is fine with me, but I'll be about as jazzed as when Danielle--er, "Dani"--won last season. I still think Joanie got the shaft.

10 comments:

Daniel Bruckner said...

It's always sad to see one of the whites go.

You felt sorry for her? She's a traitor. You're rooting for the wrong side. How can you like pavarotti, adam, and candice over Yul, Becky, and Ozzy? I thought Ozzy was your boy. He's amazing. And Yul's amazing. And I know she hasn't shown it yet, but Becky's amazing, quietly playing Yul like a puppet.

I think Yul's announcement was an effort to ease the tensions in the tribe, to show them that Jonathan had no choice. It didn't work, at least not on the surface, but that was his intention with that.

I'm glad porfavor won that bath instead of Jonathan. Not sure I could have dealt with the image of seeing him slide into a tub.

Getting all sudzy.

penelope said...

Ozzy still is my boy. I don't know why I like the pretty people at all, it must be their toothpaste commercial smiles. I don't know if I agree with the Becky assessment. While it could be true that she's playing Yul, she might have a hard time convincing the jury that she didn't just ride his coattails, should she make it to the final two.

I do agree, however, about the bath. Much better for Jonathan to stick with the pizza and beer, no one wants to see him get all sudsy. Ew.

mendacious said...

if melrose doesn't win- i'd say something is totally up- even if she's manic like reese's character in 'election'... i wish michelle hadnt been such an idiot bcs her photos were AWESOME... idiot i don't know who i am or what i want. idiot.

Matt said...

I for one cheered loudly when Candice was voted off. She and Adam have driven me crazy. It's like they met, thought they could be the next Amber and Rob and started making out in hopes of parlying that into an Amazing Race gig and then a televised wedding. Please. We all know Eric will start making out with Poverty next week.

Which brings me to Poverty. SHUT UP. SHUT YOUR MOUTH. STOP TALKING. You are not more mature than Jonathan. Apparently you've taken one too many punches to the old cranium to even think that.

Under normal circumstances, I think it would be a bad idea for Yul to advertise his hidden immunity idol, but I don't think this group is intelligent enough, aside from Jonathan, to engineer a way for Yul to take a fall. I can't imagine anyone trying to vote him off, which means the hidden immunity will go unused for the second consecutive year.

I like Ozzy because he keeps his mouth shut, and Jonathan because he doesn't. I have to say, though, that it appears like it's going to be Yul and Ozzy in the final two, and I think Ozzy will win simply because he managed to avoid the whole "leader" tag.

Matt said...

P.S. I've responded with my weird six. Now link me to your blog. Please?

Anonymous said...

I like Melrose for some reason, although I can see how living with her would get old really fast. Does anyone really smile that much?! I liked that she kept winning and making the girls hate her even more, but it was slightly disturbing how upset she got when she lost one! muttering and inflicting pain on herself.

I don't get what the judges see in Eugena at all. I like Caridee, but I think she talks funny. Does she have a tongue ring? I thought I'd caught glances, but am surprised it hasn't come up since they didn't let "Dani" ever forget about her speaking. I'm still bitter about Kahlen not winning in season 4.

Anonymous said...

I fell off the ANTM wagon a while back but just got back on it this week, only to find out there was only one twin left, and then she got kicked off too! I wonder what it's like to be the first twin to get kicked off. And doesn't caridee look like rebecca rominjin or however you spell her last name.

penelope said...

caridee totally looks like rebecca whatever. i didn't even think about the tongue ring, but now that you mention it... and "dani" has so obviously undergone speech therapy, but IS it helping, we question.

I LOVED kahlen!! i think she is my favorite out of all the antm cycles.

Anonymous said...

Why am I the only person in America that thought the twins were weird-looking and upsetting and lacking in personality? Although right at the end, Amanda did say that funny thing about how ANTM was breaking up with her...

I'm still a Melrose person. But, not unlike how Caridee looks like Rebecca Romjin, doesn't Melrose look like one of our old professors? I may have mentioned this before on my blog, but I can't remember if I did, so I'm offering it up again...

penelope said...

Which old professor, I have to know. I don't remember any of them smiling with that many megawatts.