Friday, December 29, 2006

movie crossovers

In the lazy days following Christmas, J.Lo and I have been watching a lot of movies, both from Netflix and the Christmas Booty. Among them: Little Miss Sunshine, Talladega Nights, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and soon (eeeee!) Zach Braff's The Last Kiss. What I so enjoy, for whatever reason, with movies and TV, is picking out actors and playing Where the Hell Have We Seen Them Before. It's like a game, I guess, and so much fun. J.Lo is much better at it than I, particularly with voices, but it does drive me batty when I can't figure one out, and I'll usually break for help from the imdb, lest I lose a minute of sleep. Anyway, with a few of these movies this week, the crossovers have been fantastic. Every time Davy Jones came on the screen, his tentacles twitching, I sang, I feel it in my fingers... I feel it in my TOES. And it made me laugh every time. I love Bill Nighy. Love Love, Actually. Oh--and how did we miss the first time that Borat (not that I've seen it yet, despite Kim's rec) is in Talladega Nights? As the snooty gay French NASCAR driver, Jean Girard? Crazy! And, of course, so is Bill Lumbergh, i.e. Gary Cole, as Reese Bobby, Ricky Bobby's dad... Oh, and then! So is Leslie Bibb, as Ricky Bobby's faithless trophy wife? And I so just wrote about Popular mere weeks ago.

The lists could go on and on, I'm sure. Summer Roberts is in The Last Kiss, the girl Jim dated briefly on The Office (Amy Adams) is Ricky Bobby's assistant and girlfriend after he gets dumped by Leslie Bibb... Peter Krause totally makes The Lost Room 1,000 times better than I'd normally find a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, just because he was in Six Feet Under. Amelie spices up the DaVinci Code. Et cetera.

Now if only I could stay awake for the entirety of these films, I'd be in good shape. The plan for New Year's Eve thus far is a Harry Potter marathon, and I see myself making it halfway through the Sorcerer's Stone before passing out (is there a better nap than a movie nap?), but we'll see. Perhaps I shall triumph.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

godspeed my friend, such, is a tangled webb you weave.

hat said...

I'm not ashamed to admit that just yesterday I had to break out the DVDs and watched, again, the Pirates movie simply so I could see Legolas (sans elfen ears and bow and arrow) on screen w/o having to endure three hours of Frodo being Illuminated, and so of course I had to sing along w/ poor old Davy Jones, because as you know, he'd buried his heart on some sunken island, so I was just helping him out by singing along. I feel it in my fingers...Christmas is all around us...

Reel Fanatic said...

Borat was easily the funniest thing about Talladega Nights .. from the moment he says "Formula Un," I just couldn't stop laughing .. I thought it was great how, by the time they did commercials for the DVD release, Cohen got about 20 seconds to Ferrell's five or so

Cue said...

Was that scene in "Little Miss Sunshine" with the cop and the car horn not the best? I almost peed myself. -- Um, because I was laughing. Now I'm into a Big Love marathon. Have you seen this show?? HBO has done it again. Totally addictive.

penelope said...

Big Love--yes!! Marathoned on that a few months ago, and I'm totally addicted. It kills me that I don't get HBO. Alas, I'll just have to wait until Season 2 comes out on Netflix.