Wednesday, December 6, 2006

common sense rebel

Despite many warnings in both the media and the blogosphere, and despite several posts in the past containing back-and-forth "must drink water" mentions between m and I (which I'm too lazy to locate in the archives at the moment), I continue daily to not drink enough water. Or even liquids in general. There was a time, I feel it was right before I became pregnant with K.Lo? I drank 64 ounces of water, or the proverbial 8 glasses, a day. It was easy to do, as I filled up a 24-oz marked plastic container 3 times. I still have the container and could do the same now. But will I? No, no I will not. And I never felt better than when I was drinking all that water. You eat less, when you drink a bunch of water. And sure, you pee more, but what's wrong with peeing. And most importantly, you feel hyrdrated. You feel good.

It's that time of year where it feels kind of dry anyway, because it's cold out (yay finally!), and inside, the heat is on. And despite the use of various hand lotions, body lotions, and chapsticks, I feel I may crumble sometimes into a little dusty heap. I especially dislike the feeling of dry hands, and chapped lips. It's yucky. So why every morning do I tell myself that by the end of the day, I will have caught up on my water intake, I will make the effort to do what is clearly the healthiest for a human body, and then I don't.

When I was pregnant--a time where it's even more important than usual to hydrate--I all of a sudden was revulsed by water and it's non-flavor. What are you going to do. But now I'm fine with water. Water is pretty, it's tasty, and also very conveniently dispensed on the face of our fridge. What the hell is the deal then? In the meantime, I'll be checking the mirror periodically to make sure my lips are still there, as presently I cannot feel them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people are just not natural water drinkers. I don't like drinking water-- it makes me feel all swishy inside and kind of nauseated. I'm like a camel. I don't even usually have to pee when I wake up in the morning.

Somebody's Mom said...

According to Triva Pursuit, the origial edition, the average number of trips to the restroom in a day is six. Get busy. Drink more.