Sunday, June 18, 2006

pop thoughts: let's discuss

1. Britney Spears. Okay, what do we think about the Matt Lauer interview, besides that it was oh-so-entertaining to watch. My thing with Britney Spears, I've decided after much thought, is this: I don't buy her hicktown accent. She didn't used to speak like this, as was evidenced by multiple video clips within the Dateline interview; she used to have a nice, even "public" voice with a little twang, and actually sounded like an intelligent girl. I don't mean to say she sounds like an idiot now because she boasts quite the Southern drawl, not at all-it just seems less like she's dropped the persona everyone supposedly wants to see and hear, and more like she's putting on some kind of bizzaro act under the guise of "being real." And that is the turnoff-FAKENESS, ugh. She slips in and out of that accent so often--and did the same thing on the repulsive Chaotic-that I shudder to listen. I mean, Britney, go do whatever you want with K-Fed, try not to drop your baby or send him flying the windshield, whatever. But can you at least pick the accent that's Really You and stick with it? And maybe a less frightening haircolor for your skin tone. That would be great, thanks. Or, sigh-maybe I'm just a shallow asshole who misses the polished version of Britney Spears. P.S. What the hell was that ginormous clump of black on her lashes? Not mascara, was it?









2. Heidi from The Hills. All I could think when watching the latest episode of the Laguna Beach spinoff was, She does exist. She fucking boggles my mind, this girl. I've never seen anyone try so hard not to work in my whole life. She's convinced herself that she wants a career in PR planning hot parties that she can "get all her friends into," and even dropped out of school after landing her "dream job"-but the look on her face when she had to stuff those envelopes. Priceless. It was like they were asking her to transfer roaches with her teeth into the envelopes, rather than invitations. I wonder what she thought she'd be doing exactly. Also, and it's not clear what the exact financial circumstances of her life are, so who knows, but it seems like she doesn't really have to work, that if she wanted to, she could just be rich and play all day. So part of me is kind of silently rooting her on for that. Because I mean-whatever. It's all about vicarious experience and ogling anyway, watching these shows, so why not. Although it is lots of fun to watch her struggle.

3. BEHIND THE MUSIC WITH NICK LACHEY. OMG. Thanks Ash and Mel for your adament recommendation; I may have missed it entirely otherwise. The part where he's like, "Holding that little girl...That's what it's all about." It makes my throat hurt just thinking about it. All of this really has no impact on my life whatsoever, but if Jessica could just watch it and see... He still loves her. They could work it out. I just know it.









Up next: should I blog more about my life? I ponder. Today the baby cried and cried and cried and puked into my cleavage. She is, as J-Lo says, "going through something." Except we don't know what. Currently (still) reading The Devil Wears Prada, leaving The Breakfast Club to play in the background every time it's on VH1, and considering all the ways in which I mask whatever is my "real" personality. Hmmm. And I give Britney such a hard time.

8 comments:

SW said...

OMG! I just finished watching the interview online right before I came to your post. It's like I was meant to comment on this post today...

Ok, my opinion is, that accent is real. Yes, she did sound alot more polished, and she actually sounded soooo much more mature in the first Lauer interview, but then again, I'm sure she had "people" prepping her back then, telling her how to talk, what to say, etc. As for the baby stuff, she totally avoided all questions and her justification for everything didn't explain anything! I've only heard about her almost dropping the baby, and it was great to actually see that clip. It's was like "hmm....drink or baby? Drink....or baby...? I'll hold on to the drink. Woops, there goes the baby!"
And yea, I think she was lying about all the KFed stuff...she didn't even sound like she believed what she was saying as it came out of her mouth. Boy...we do give Brit a hard time...

And, I haven't seen The Hills, but that show gives me hope for my own, as I blogged previously. It will be called "Bikes and the Valley." Starring me and my bike as we travel the valley of San Fernando, guest starring neighboring Hollywood, and the west side.

Daniel Bruckner said...

Is that my Nickipoo!

penelope said...

I totally think Britney's lying about K-Fed, too. It was just like J-Lo (the original, but not the best) when she was on Oprah talking about her relationship with...well, crap. Now I can't even remember who it was at the time. I think it was Ben Affleck. Anyway, she was saying how great everything was and blah blah blah, but totally averting her eyes with the coy smile. And sure enough, not long after--breakup. Divorce. But wait, was she ever married to Ben Affleck? Maybe it was another guy. Damn I cannot keep track.

Although, it does so annoy me when tabloids deliberately and relentlessly try to destroy a couple, i.e. Nick and Jess. Spederline might be relatively unattractive, but it doesn't mean they deserve that treatment.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even watch the interview. Other than the clips on the news...and hello? Did they not have makeup to deal with whatever was happening with her mascara or fake lashes, or whatever? Is it supposed to show she's doing her own makeup now?

My roommate and I did have a conversation about how things you can get away with when you're a hot rockstar make you look like trailer trash when you're pregnant and a little puffy. Go look at some pictures of Gwenyth Paltrow, or some other big star who's in the Hollywood pregnancy trend. Copy them.

(Ok, I don't think Britney could or should necessarily pull off Gwenyth's general level of sophistication, but it's somewhere to start...)

mendacious said...

i like how you asked if you should blog about your personal life but coupled it with something people really can't resist commenting about- ah britney. so then they completely forget the question or mark it as arbitrary. i personally want to hear about the puke and conversely want a short blog and a link to britney cuz now i have to go see for my self.

and johann: he's MINE! leavehimalone!

Anonymous said...

I know I am going to write so much in response to this post that it will be embarassing.

Okay. Britney. Word has it that Matt Lauer arrived to find her and K-Fed there alone. No publicist, no stylist, no manager, not even Mama Spears to say, "For goodness sakes, comb your hair, Britney!" AND, word has it that Lauer felt so sorry for her that he tried to postpone the interview, but she wanted to go on with it. Aside from the hideous makeup, unkempt hair, terrible outfit and the false eyelash that came loose half way through, it was the finger nails that really got me. The Bonne Bell pink, chewed-down-to-nub fingernails. Agh. The sign of a desperate woman.

The Hills. I do PR and event planning for a living, and granted it's not in LA, but it is SO MUCH LESS glamorous than people think it's going to be. I have had blisters on my feet after an event. I have had other people's half drunk beer on me after an event. I have hauled 40 pound bags of ice and cleared plates and endured the sounds of 500 kids running around in a museum high on cupcake icing sugar. So I hate to tell her, but stuffing envelopes might be the highlight of her party planning profession.

And lastly, Nick. All I can say is, Britney Spears should find out who his publicist is, sell of one of the three new cars she bought in the last six months and HIRE THEM PRONTO!!

Matt said...

Oh Brittany. She really just wants people to leave her alone, giver her and her family some privacy, so what does she do? An interview with Matt Lauer that is going to be the most heavily hyped prime-time event of the week. Now that, my friends, is how to insure you get some privacy and have the papparazi leave you alone. If she would stop crying in public, do a couple poses for the cameramen whenever she goes out, and live a relatively uneventful life, they would evaporate like water in the desert. But what Brittany wants, more than anything, is the attention. She doesn't want it to go away, because then she would go away.

As for Nick, I can't believe I sat and watched the whole show. But then, I would watch a Behind the Music about Perry Como, they're just so damn entertaining.

Anonymous said...

I think what makes BTM so addicting is the host's voice-over. It just sucks you in. I can't explain it, it's like Robert Stack's voice on Unsolved Mysteries. You're just like, oh dear, things are gonna get bad...

And when Nick Lachey's father got all choked up talking about how he just wants his son to be happy...let's just say I was on the floor weeping and leave it at that.