Friday, June 23, 2006

inspiring words

Excerpt from Mia's student presidential campaign speech, Princess In Training, the Princess Diaries series, Vol VI.

"Maybe things like the lottery and television were invented to sell products, bilk workers of their hard-earned cash, and lull us all into a false sense of complacency, and distract us from the true horrors of the world around us. But maybe we NEED those distractions, so that during our leisure time, we can enjoy ourselves," I went on. "Is there something wrong with, after our work is done, hanging out and watching a little of The OC? Or singing karaoke? Or reading comic books? Does something have to be complicated or hard to understand to be culture? A hundred years from now, after we're all dead from the Yellowstone caldera, or the ice caps melting, or no more petroleum, or killer algae taking over the planet, when whatever remains of human civilization looks back at early twenty-first century society, which do you think is going to better describe what our lives were really like--an essay on the ways in which the media exploits us, or a single episode of Sailor Moon? I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, give me anime, or give me death."

Sub in The Office or The Hills for anime, and hurrah! I love Meg Cabot. And it heartens me to know that still, though she seems to churn out books faster than Joyce Carol Schmoates, she clearly still spends quite a bit of time watching shows like Gilmore Girls. And I so respect that.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

well killer algae is a serious problem, not unlike the serious problem with killer snails. i don't feel bad about watching tv so much but the end to relaxing and not taking things seriously is a double edged sword so that it's all you see. i mean yes alleviate the burden but we still have responsibility. how about give me fuzzy pink slippers over a stuffy essay any old day. okay back to work... agh.

mendacious said...

wow- so no one had anything else to say. i'm uh... seriously=--= there's so many serious deadly things in the world that need to be addressed...

Daniel Bruckner said...

I have something to say but the duality of my nature is preventing it.

penelope said...

there's just no telling what readers will and won't comment on. i wonder where horace is when we need him?

johann-did you see my last comment on the pete traina post? i just noticed your comment the other day. hiLARious. someone needs to hire this guy, just to see what he's like in person.

Anonymous said...

I'm often concerned by many things. The Princess Diaries, however, is most like a guy repellant. That's the only way I can explain it. Perhaps it's also a comment repellant.