Thursday, June 1, 2006

bereft

Pronunciation: bi-'reft
Function: adjective
1 a : deprived or robbed of the possession or use of something -- usually used with of
b : lacking something needed, wanted, or expected -- used with of
2 title of memoir we read in grad school; don't remember much, except it was crap
3 what I feel in the summer when I think of TV

Our DVR is virtually empty, save for a long-ago unwatched episode of "The Apprentice" and several "Band of Brothers" that I can't even be in the same room for when Scott watches them (I'm sure they're "fantastic," just--ugh, way too intense for me). There are a measly few new shows still recorded every day, namely the MTV set: Real World, RW/RR Challenge (Fresh Meat being suprisingly, um, dare I say hilarious? this time around), The Hills, Laguna marathons, etc. But they're consumed in this house quicker than chocolate. Like lightning, man.

And I know, there's books, and Netflix. There's tomatoes growing outside, and a higher frequency of backyard bbq's. I'm so there, on all counts. But the blazing heat, the air conditioning bills, this tragic lack of good TV--I have to say, summer is my LEAST favorite season of the year. Don't even get me started on the issue of jeans vs. shorts.

Brief Reminder, though: "The Office" repeat marathon tonight on NBC. Good chance to catch up on lost eps (mendacious), or to hop on board (Kim). Wahoo!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try brilliantbutcancelled.com for some fresh entertainment. I haven't watched any myself, but I saw a commercial for it and was intrigued. You can stream shows that had one or a handful of episodes that didn't make the network cut. I saw that a Jason Bateman sitcom (not AD) is the top choice. If you like it, there's always the agony that the show will never come to fruition, but it will be an improvement over the vast wasteland of summer television. That is, until PR3's arrival in July! Hurray for Tim Gunn!

penelope said...

ooo, fascinating...

I can't WAIT for the return of Tim Gunn.

Cue said...

I met the author of "Bereft" at one of those lit conferences I used to work for (ahem). She was actually cool. But yeah, I think we could do better.

I'm watching "Brokeback Mountain" for the first time w/ my gay BF tonight. On white wine. Now that's entertainment.

mendacious said...

i just got season1/2 of arrested development. WOO! now if i can only suck up the courage to get buster to sign it. probably not.

daisy said...

Oh my god. I missed The Hills. I've been so busy I just forgot it was on. And therefore failed to come home to watch it. I also missed the new RW/Fresh Meat challenge. Is this what working is going to do to me? If so - I QUIT. I want my MTV!!!!

Kim said...

Um, I hate to say it, but I missed The Office marathon. But I had a good reason! The national spelling bee was on! (Seriously, that stuff is addictive...)

Megs said...

Have you watched Love Monkey? It got cancelled, but VH1 picked up the 8 episodes that were filmed and plays them occasionally. I loved that freaking show.

Anonymous said...

Pen, I know I'm off topic, but tell Scott anytime he wants to stage a B.O.B. marathon, I've got the boxed set. I've also got post traumatic stress disorder from watching it, but what the hell, it's so damn good.

penelope said...

i LOVE love monkey... it doesn't seem to be on lately?

and j, will do. maybe y'all can watch B.O.B. while ashley and i watch s&tc, which doesn't cause post-traumatic stress disorder, but does inspire unnecessary clothes shopping sprees.

kim, i demand you netflix the office immediately. how could you miss jim popping dwight's new yoga ball chair with scissors? how??