Tuesday, June 20, 2006

penelope pet peeves, continued

1. White noise. For example, ceiling fans, box window fans, air conditioning, oven fans, bathroom vents. Leaf blowers and flourescent lights. Maybe leaf blowers aren't really white noise. And none of these really bother me to distraction, in most cases, but I notice that when they're finally turned off, I suddenly feel much more peaceful. The absence of said noise is downright lulling. And yet some people need white noise in order to fall asleep. Humm.

2. When someone says repeatedly and emphatically, "You just don't understand." As in, you don't know my plight. This expression used in any form used to immediately raise my blood pressure until one day I realized that it's not supposed to be perceived literally. Like, What the eff, I'm trying to understand--maybe if you stopped saying that? So now it only bugs me when someone is driving it home as though using a sledge hammer. In which case I have to remind myself, a) it's not literal, b) whomever is speaking is simply riled up about his or her own situation, and c) it will probably get stuck in my head and at some point in the next week, I will inadvertantly use the expression myself.

3. Boys who tell their girlfriends, fiances, or wives to "shut up" in a non-facetious manner, and/or call them "stupid" or "dumb" in same manner, such as Wes to Johanna on the Road Rules/Real World Challenge. And by the way, Wes? This girl's way out of your league.

4 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

Oh, you are channeling my peeves... may I add: the "you're not listening to me!" Yeah right. I am listening, but thank you I have my own opinion, duh.



Hey, you almost did a whole post without mentioning a tv show. :-)

penelope said...

almost! and it was only because i couldn't remember the third pet peeve i had in mind, which i swear had nothing to do with tv at all.

Karima said...

Thank you for the validation of the white noise. I can fall asleep to it but it is not soothing on as background noise. It makes me crazy.

Somebody's Mom said...

Pen, it may be your fault, given that this has occurred after I read your post about white noise..

ah yes that is good,
it stopped nice quiet...
oh there it is again,
ah, quiet,
augh, there it is again...

At the office all day, starting and stopping.. it feels so good when it stops. The sound is like the clicking of a stove top automatic ignition, click, click,click, perhaps 25 in ten seconds. (I know you are amazed that I haven't killed anyone.) The mystery sound coming from the air conditioner intake over my cubicle. I hope it wasn't the dried bones of the mouse that has been terrorizing the office with its dropping and its streaking across workspaces. Not that the mouse wouldn't have deserved such a fate, but eew.