Monday, October 6, 2008

weeding, by pen

I know you all think I watch TV ALL the time, considering my pen’s picks posts for Fall Fare, among others. But it’s so not true. Because I’m pretty picky these days. My low-capacity DVR’s only at 30% for heaven’s sake. And, from the September list, here’s what’s already gotten the axe:

One Tree Hill. And that’s after several fairly devoted seasons! It was the Crazy Nanny plot that did me in.

Fringe. J.Lo likes it, but we still haven’t gotten the DVR set up right for it. He’ll have to catch up on Hulu, or something, and from there he’s on his own.

90210. I know! M will be so proud. They all but took out the snarky grandma whose house they live in, and while I enjoy some of the actors, and catching up with the old crew, I’m mostly bored. Where’s the edge. Why do the new kids fit in so damn well. Why are they so self-confident? It’s perplexing, and disappointing. Sure, sure, I admire their spunk, but where’s the fear and self-loathing that make up a good teen drama?

Worst Week. I don’t even think I mentioned it originally. It’s like Meet the Fockers, except it won’t ever end. Can’t handle the uncomfortable-ness week after week.

And then, from the October list, we’re barely into the month, and I have very low expectations for Kath & Kim, based on some pretty sad reviews.

I do however, love The Ex List, already, and of course the old standbys: HIMYM, Office, Survivor, Amazing Race. ANTM, ProRun, and Gossip Girl. Grey’s. Life!! It’s so good. And Earl has relocated its mojo. I’m teetering with Privileged as well as Top Design, but we’ll see. SNL has been pretty good, and I’m looking forward to the Thursday specials. But, you know. That’s about it for the shows. Oh, Two and a Half Men and NAOOChristine made the cut as well, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if the DVR glitched during their time slot.

It’s a cutthroat world if you’re living in my DVR. Please discuss your own INs and OUTs in the comments!

13 comments:

Kurt said...

I watched another episode of Fringe only because our TIVO is all screwy and has only taped, like, three things since the fall season started. But it was OUT after the first episode - I thought it was a low rent X Files. I also have moved on from Heroes - they gave me a nice stopping point at the end of the last season, and I took it. I am probably dropping Californication for the same reason. Also OUT: Aliens in America, which started out pretty subversive, and now is sort of lame.

IN is House (though it has gotten a bit over the top), Life (I like that guy), Monk, Samantha Who?, Pushing Daisies, 30 Rock, and Ugly Betty.

I miss Life is Wild, which got canceled - it was the most deliciously bad show on TV since Seventh Heaven.

penelope said...

Aliens in America got canceled, anyway. Sigh. I've got my hopes up for Samantha Who!

Anonymous said...

Life! The box boy guy on the premiere was in an indie film I worked on. Pope Dreams...add it to your Netflix :) (He was also in The Riches, which my roommie worked on.) I almost worked on Life, which would have been surreal, since they use the offices I'd just cleaned out from the previous show.

Heroes lost me with the 2 hour premiere. I bailed about 15 minutes before the end, sadly.

penelope said...

I don't know, man. I'm still having nightmares about the box boy. C.reep.y!

Heroes is getting complicated, that's for sure. So much for the show that's not supposed to make its viewers feel as *lost* as when watching Lost. That's another one I could stop watching tomorrow and not care.

ashley said...

You guys are depressing me with your Fringe talk. Not even hot Joshua Jackson could woo you in, Pen? I have to say that I hung in there for two episodes and then on the third, it really took off for me. But, you know, Ashley Killed the TV Star, so best not to get invested.

penelope said...

I know, it's kind of killing me that Pacey isn't enough to woo me at this juncture... perhaps someday. Or maybe I'll catch up online? If you say it's worth it, I believe you.

mendacious said...

oh man fringe. ash you must keep us posted. bcs though i heart pacey- man that first episode into the 2nd sucked! it was just badly written. and the female lead is milktoast. so BOR ing...

pen- and i'm glad you've rejoined me in the dissatisfaction with lost- i just hate that premise. glad i stopped watching. same thing with heros. maybe it'll be better over netflix. so no waiting.

so far: southpark, SVU, pushing daisies, pro run, Amazing Race, the Office.

penelope said...

sweet, you're into the amazing race!

i haven't stopped watching lost, yet. but i've missed enough episodes. and hell, i just have no idea what's going on, anyway.

~sarah said...

Lost hasn't premiered yet, has it? What are you all talking about, giving it up before it even starts. The last season got really good! This season, hopefully even better!

I'm hanging onto Pushing Daisies and I also enjoy Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Yes, I'm that girl. I have a soft spot for sci-fi. Which is probably why I'm also still watching Heroes. I want it to be good. It could still be good! And I've got Hulu subscriptions to the Office, 30 Rock and Chuck b/c Grey's and Betty have sucked me in on Thursdays. Though I'd be happy to watch them online too. I'm thinking Samantha Who will be another internet dealie. Not so much into the reality stuff at all this season...

penelope said...

I think Lost is in January? Can anyone confirm? We still have a few on our DVR! Sadly. We'll catch up, someday. I can't stop watching, even though I'm literally Lost.

Wait, what is this about Hulu subscriptions? I'm going to have to research...

Kurt said...

That box boy was the kid on The Riches. He made a great creepy guy.

Andria said...

Late to the party, but. . here's my 4 cents.
yeah, box guy was totally creepy, not sure I'd want to see him again for a while.
I have several shows sitting on Tivo, that I wouldn't say I've completely abandoned yet, but I just can't seem to make myself watch: Heroes, being one of them. I have the Pushing Daisies still to watch, too.
I like Fringe. It's better than I expected after some of the initial previews I saw. Some of it's way over the top (or is it?!) but so far, I thought it was fairly cool. Maybe not quite as well written as some other shows, but I still find it entertaining. I just can't watch it before going to bed, so I don't have many other options and am behind.
Has Amazing Race premiered?! Are we missing it?
I was intrigued by Terminator:SCC, but didn't set it to record, because I had enough to keep up with as it was.
I quickly dropped Do Not Disturb and have given Greg permission to watch Earl without me. For some reason, I just can't get into it - I usually enjoyed it when I watched, but never really wanted to start. I didn't really get into NAoOC, either, sorry, Pen. I might not have given it enough of a shot, but it didn't suck me in.
I'm excited for Samantha Who? and hope I haven't built it up too much.
Longest, most jumbled comment ever.
Keepers: Life! House (even though miss old team. . or even the Amber/Amber-Wilson storyline had spunk) ANTM, Smallville, ER, The Office, AYST5thgrader?, Brothers & Sisters (even though we haven't watched the premiere yet, I'm eager to get back into it) Desperate Housewives, The Amazing Race (if I haven't missed it already!) Pushing Daisies, Fringe, 90210 (eh - especially now that all the old gang is packing up, even if it was feeling forced), Privileged (I think it's cute)

so yeah, no wonder I'm behind!

penelope said...

Yes, Amazing Race is on! I missed last week due to football (arg). But it's not too late to join in the fun.

NAoOC kind of sucks this season. Seriously.