Sunday, October 5, 2008

fan-tizzy-tastic, by pen

So now, in addition to exercise, I need to start eating better, too? WTF. All I know is, I’ve been working out 4 days a week for maybe 5 weeks now, getting in my cardio requirements as well as strength training, and that stinking scale has.not.budged. Not one iota. All right, it did budge, a few weeks ago, when I gained two pounds. Motha.

When I look in the mirror, it appears as though I have slimmed down some, and I do seem to have some more muscle tone overall, and yes, yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat, yadda yadda, but hell. Some concrete benefits to this whole “wellness” bullshit would be super. I want numbers, people, smaller numbers!

So logic tells me I need to eat less chocolate, and possibly more fruits and vegetables? And maybe quit snacking so much, especially at night? Logic is not my friend. Logic can suck it, Trebek.

I’ll be sulking in the corner, pondering this whole “working for you want” racket.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

I took about a year to lose ten pounds. I don't think it was so much the working out but rather the changes I made to my diet. And I had an epiphany: there's no benefit to diet changes unless they're permanent.

penelope said...

It's the cold, hard truth.

mendacious said...

oh god you guys don't tell me that!

though i suppose it will give me more patience- though sometimes not unlike religion we start looking at it in terms of results and not the benefit of feeling and life- i remind myself this when i have negative thoughts about the gym or eating right and when i notice the scale isn't going down. i say self, you sleep better, you're calmer. you really do like broccoli... you like the way this makes you feel. who cares if the pounds aren't in the negative like they should be. and i say ok, trip my imaginary self going down the stairs have a good laugh.

penelope said...

I like broccoli... but I really like Snickers bars, too.

Kurt said...

Yes, Men, you are right. Exercise improves my mood and energy and also gives me creative energy. Natalie Portman said that exercise is the only way she can control her mood (I'm paraphrasing).