Thursday, October 16, 2008

The 2nd Fall Faire, by M

So, here we are kayaking Santa Barbara harbor and bay Sunday Last. We took a backroad up to avoid traffic and stopped to get giant, but reasonably priced pumpkins... Kerry was tired, but she came anyway. She rallied and I was glad to have her but I felt bad. I think I should've tried to leave her at home because half the time I would be 100yards away and she'd be just floating there looking for a seal to surface. Which is a classic illustration of how she wants to experience and i want to accomplish, because to me accomplishing something is the experience. It's interesting. Anyway this time on the kayak I felt off-kilter and within a hairsbreadth of capsizing. Which I'm leary of, and generally have a good sense of balance. It might've been the criss-cut fries I had for lunch or the CGi storyboard of how this girl's leg got bitten off by a shark but I was completely rattly and unnerved. And i hate that! Finally 1/2 way through meandering around the bay, I paddled to shore while Kerry, in another example of just experiencing things by herself, while I had an objective, watched me paddle to shore but didn't follow. She was worrying about beaching herself, and looking for seals, which compared to capsizing and getting eaten by sharks was completely imperatively different. You can see by my face below, despite the epic setting, that I was like, if i move i'm going to die. After beaching myself, it was like hitting the reset button. I pulled myself to shore, took some breaths, cursed my fat, and my fear of sharks and got back on the kayak and shoved myself into the water. Going back into the water with a different attitude, while I still need to take a day to actually practice capsizing, was completely redeeming and I was able to relax and watch the pelicans.... and renew my vow to one day kayak around an island. This next weekend promises to be completely uneventful in comparison. You will not be seeing pictures of epic blue skies and fall activities. And it will be fantastic.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

That looks fun. I should go outside. Where is it located?

penelope said...

Kayaking still scares me a little. Sharks or no sharks. However, I support your love of it and trust that it's a fun time.

:)

Daniel Bruckner said...

Cool.

Ultra cool.