Saturday, October 4, 2008

Haul, by pen

Last night I went to the Famous Library Book Sale, this time all hard-core. I paid my $15 (tax-deductible) to join the Library Friends and therefore gain advance entrance. It was worth it. Amidst a crowd of box-lugging, wheelie-suitcase toting shoppers, I filled my bag* with:

1. A bunch of Boy Books for Scott. They’re the written equivalent of action movies. You know what I’m talkin bout.

2. Hardcover versions of Harry Potter 1 & 3 (I just need 2, now).

3. Reading Lolita in Tehran

4. The Memory Keeper’s Daughter

5. The Time Traveler’s Wife (LOVE it.)

6. Perks of Being a Wallflower

7. The Secret Life of Bees

8. Lucky

9. Red Tent

10. We Thought You Would Be Prettier

I have no room to spare on my bookshelves for these new adoptees, and a whole slew of books from previous book sales I hadn’t even gotten to yet. But I find it completely exhilarating, the LBS, kind of like Christmas. And I’ll get to them all eventually, especially now that I’ve been on a more intense reading streak of late. I’m kind of like the old-old me, with that, rather than the old me. Does that make any sense? Bah. I don’t have time to dissect, I have books to read!

*My bag, a heavy-duty paper one with rope handles from Eddie Bauer, fared so well for the duration of the sale, only to break 10 yards from the checkout, spilling my haul everywhere. Of course it did. I expect nothing less when in public. Clearly next time I’ve got to go canvas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. New (to you) books. Hooray!

Anonymous said...

goody goody.
books,
more books.

canvas bags, a good thing.