Sunday, September 30, 2007

best book sale finds

I went to Day 1 of the Famous Book Sale yesterday, which, being a cheapskate, I have never done before. The price slashes start today, so I'm thinking I will go back Monday or Tuesday just to see what I can find, as per usual. This time around, though, and possibly forevermore, I had to try the first day. Just Because.

I walked away with:
Lisey's Story, Stephen King (for J.Lo)

Nature Girl, Carl Hiaasen (ditto)

three Can't-Help-Myself chick-lit books: Legally Blonde, Something Borrowed, and Something Blue

A Million Little Pieces, Frey, to finally hop on that train and see what all the fuss is about

Bel Canto, Ann Patchett, because I really liked the other two things I read by her...but did you see her latest release and the El Sucko reviews? Yikes.

On Beauty, Zadie Smith--I've been seeing this book everywhere, for some reason, and feel like it's a sign. Don't really know what it's all about.

And lastly, for K.Lo, a few Elmo books, Goodnight Moon (how she gone 20 months without owning this?), another Clifford book about the beach, and this fantastic lift-the-flap ABC book that's giant and pretty and in great condition.

Yay!
In short, made out like a bandit, and only felt slightly woozy toward the end of the sale, with my big belly and my big ol' box of books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I should have been a librarian or something. I love books.

Megs said...

I loved Bel Canto! Maybe my favorite of hers. Haven't read the new one yet, but can't wait, despite your reports of sucky reviews.

Did you feel like the booksale had less fiction this year?

Kara said...

way to snag Goodnight Moon - no kid should be without. liked A Million Little Pieces, but confess i never finished it. alas, it resides on the shelf patiently waiting for me to one day return to its pages. description of dentist visit - yikes! after reading i suddenly became quite concerned with good oral care - upped the flossing to once a month rather than twice a year ;o)

penelope said...

megs, you know maybe they did have less fiction? certainly there was less stephen king out then usual, and i don't usually even go until the third day. i kept thinking maybe it was all in the boxes underneath the tables, but it didn't seem like there were that many boxes? maybe they were hiding them.

the patchett review i read was short, but truly scathing. i was shocked. but i'm sure i'll read it someday anyway, because i love her.