Monday, April 24, 2006

Weekend Recap: Prime Examples

1. Artsy, WTF movie ending: Has anyone seen Broken Flowers with Bill Murray? I'm not saying I didn't like it; I did. I mean, I just can't get enough of movies that feature a reticent Bill Murray sitting around and staring defeatedly into the distance. They touch my soul. But dammit, I can't help feeling like Jim Jarmusch copped out at the end of this one. He didn't have to go the all-tied-up-with-bow-of-sweeping-musical-score Hollywood route, but could he not have at least told us who sent Bill the letter, and if he really did have a son? Honestly.

2. Fear-Mongering at its Finest: Oh, Ann Curry. I do believe you're a sincere individual with good intentions. I know it's not your fault that at the heart of these Dateline Specials is a push for fear-driven consumerism. But what I really didn't need on my lovely Sunday afternoon was to get sucked into a stomach-churning anxiety spiral, imagining the world, the nation, this city, our friends, our family, my husband, myself and MY BABY contracting what is apparently the inevitable strain of pandemic bird flu. So, thanks for that.

3. How to be held up right: Last night (after the bird flu thing), J-Lo and I watched Dog Day Afternoon, this 1975 Al Pacino movie about a guy who holds up a bank in order to fund his lover's sex change operation. Based on a true story and everything, and it was t-riffic. What killed us throughout the movie were these two teller chicks who were having a grand old time during the entire course of the 2-day standoff. Laughing, dancing around. It's like nothing bothered them. I love people like this.

4. Quite Possibly Soulless: What the hell is up Tawny Kitaen's ass, exactly? First of all, Tawny, do you really believe Florence Henderson was trying to make a fool of you on the live TV news broadcast by "throwing you a curve ball?" Because it seemed to me like she just asked you a question you didn't know the answer to, and you're mad because you weren't able to gracefully respond. Second of all, get over it. Your vendetta is unfounded and overblown at this point, and anyone who tries to take down Mrs. Brady isn't going to get a great audience response. Not the best way to win your own talk show, but then, seeing as you're such a hotshot and all with curveballs, it probably wasn't the job for you anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

J and I tried to watch Broken Flowers and both fell asleep. I loved reticent Bill Murray in Lost in Translation, but somehow, this movie was just lost. I couldn't get into it...he was so distant, I couldn't connect with the movie at all.

And on a final note, Tawny's crazy. And every time I watch that show, I realize that Alexis Arquette is the most normal, down to earth, respectable human being in the bunch. It kind of makes me want to hug her.

Kurt said...

I ssen Broken Flowers. I hear/feel what you are saying, but I still liked it. It's the whole Bill Murray staring defeatedly into the distance thing

2. Don't know who the people in 2 and 4 are, but you are right: America will defend Mrs. Brady to the death. That's why we're in Iraq.

Matt said...

The best thing about the Dateline Flu thing was that at the beginning, Anne Curry stated that the show was not intended to scare anyone, or create mass hysteria, and then went on to attempt to do exactly that. There is nothing like a news show hiring a bunch of actors to act like they are dying of some disease which likely won't spread, and then saying, we're not trying to scare you, only ask the question, What if? What if NBC and Dateline actually attempted quality journalism? Then the world might end.

mendacious said...

i just turned on notorious- and suddenly, the world is so much more silly than it ought to be.