Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Like a good old-fashioned traffic accident

I know you know about this tool already, but can you bear to look? Can you bear not to look? Oh good lord, it's depressing.

I only looked because I have recently had the extraordinarily good fortune to be offered a debt consolidation loan with 0% interest and no strings. (I'm still in the process of counting my lucky stars.) Consolidating the 2 cars and the AmEx card into this loan, according to the calculator, is going to save us exactly $4510.17. And perhaps the lining of my stomach.

Now there's just the student loans, the mortgage, those damned taxes owed to the IRS... Ah, life in America. I consider the house an asset, and therefore refuse to feel bad about that debt. The IRS can bite me as we use next year's refund to pay for this year's catastrophe. And the student loans, I am in Complete Denial about those. I will not look, I will keep on driving and Will Not Look, I am not going to look--gahhhhhh!

2 comments:

mendacious said...

i think this post is so intimidating. maybe that explains the utter lack of sarcastic commentary. although i am really jealous about the potential money savings. i try not to agitate myself about all the student loan debt and how much i'm actually losing in the bargain. i think if i worked steadily for 3 years with no other expenses i'd be able to pay my college debt off. hmm i ponder. and that car photo reminds me that i was driving by an accident on roscoe the other day and a car was completely flipped over but minimal damage. and we're all pondering how they managed that one- just flipped over and lying upside down on the curb.

penelope said...

it is intimidating, you're right. i think i'll go lighter next time.