Friday, April 21, 2006

Now Stretch

Good Morning!

I've had a couple days to adjust to "working" and for the most part all is well. A particular shout out for Sarah who got me the gig, and has been untiring in her efforts to find me a job, any job, that she could get her hands on in the 2 years+ that i've been sporadically unemployed. Now that is consideration and friendship. Thanks Sarah! (and to callie too!)

My day starts like such- it's a new novelty so i have to take you through it.
Up at 7:45, 8am. Ready by 8:15- which means throwing unassembled items into lunch bag, maybe or maybe not brushing teeth, brushing hair, splashing water on face and running out the door. i still always have time to turn on the computer even though i do it all day at work. it pains me not too, but i recognize i have a problem.

Besides I have plenty of time to wake up in the car- usually a 45 minute commute over the hill and through the city to grandmas house we go. Today it took me over an hour bcs a couple jackasses on both freeway systems decided to catch fire, block lanes of traffic- it's particularly cruel for such things to happen on a friday- and of course i hope no one died. And of all the places in LA this was my least favorite place to go bcs there is no convinient freeway system. It's just an abyss of streets and cars- although i do get the chance to try out my maverick shortcuts.

So today i was late- and some guy was covering the phones. He's nice. He feels tortured to be there though- i think it takes a particular type of personality to be able to be chained to a desk you can't leave even with regulated breaks and operate a switchboard to somewhat stressed out movie executives. I've already heard gossip about uptight directors, assistants and crazy people working in other departments. this place is full of eccentrics. so mostly i just sit there with my bag of sunflower seeds and watchfully take notes for later review on just who is who and the office dynamics which run aplenty.

i'm going to miss this place. 3 days a week is just perfect for a girl who hasnt' worked for 4 months. And I'm not chained to the reception desk until i relieve the other guy- it's a perfect set up. I'd take you thru more of the quirky reminesce of the day but i think my bloodsugarlevel is low- so all i can think of is do i want the lean cuisine for lunch or do i want to assembe a tuna sandwich...

5 comments:

Kurt said...

Riveting.

Danica said...

Uh, I don't think brushing your teeth should be negotiable. This is coming from someone who will hurl at the merest whiff of bad BO or breath. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for work!

Although I don't think teeth brushing is negotiable either. Multitask. Do it while you turn on the computer.

When my roommate's out of town her dog gets the last evening walk while I'm brushing my teeth. So far no neighbors have complained about me spitting in the grass :)

~sarah said...

you're welcome. i wish we could chat more w/o getting dirty looks!

and yeah, brushing teeth, necessary. i have a teeth fetish - they must be well cared for. mouthwash at least, assuming you haven't eaten breakfast before you leave the house...

mendacious said...

i know- and yet- brushing my teeth is negotiable. and so is taking a shower... hmm.